computer control DMX software

colinskuse

hi all

I have a school that want to control there lighting viva a computer,

thay have 2 x 6 way dimmers and are looking for some software that will be user frendley and easy to use

thay are just after control for generics no moving lights

the ablity to program seans is needed

the software will be used by both students and staff

if any one can advise some software that you have used and give a idea of how frendley it is to use I will be grate full

Hello,

This has been covered so many times.

As a start to look at there is a link to an older post here

Also you can do a :rolleyes: search for USB DMX dongles. Manufacturerers like Enttec would be a good place to start.

Feel free to make use of the search function here too as there are many threads on this subject.

James

I have a strong preference for simple lighting desks rather than computer interfaces, look at http://www.terralec.co.uk/lighting_control...ers/248_0c.html

for loads of viable options.

Remember that ALL the hall users will need to instinctively use the desk to get some lights on, and one fader per channel is less taxing than a computer to boot some software lo load and then not know how to play it so someone will play with it.

I work for a DMX software manufaturer (Sunlite). Id reccommend these products any day over a hardware desk. It is simpler to use, quicker to set up(you could argue about installing software but dragging a file with the name of your fixture is far easier than getting the manual out and working out what each DMX channel does), 10 times cheaper and much more powerfull(you can click a couple of buttons and you have lighting dimmer, color and movement patterns).

Take a look at Easy Stand Alone. www.nicolaudie.com. The lighting can be downloaded onto the box and used without a computer if required.

drop me an e-mail if you have any other questions simon@dmxsoft.com

I'll agree with Jivemaster that a simple 1 fader per light Hardware desk is going to be your best bet.

Who wants to bother starting up a PC, waiting for it to load, loading the software and then having to click through each of the onscreen faders to set a level. With hardware, turn on, push up faders, done.

If you want the hardware desk to remember settings at next turn on, just leave the faders up. If you want the same on the PC you have to create a scene.

Also, a PC will be much more of a theft target than a Lighting Desk.

Josh

I work for a DMX software manufaturer (Sunlite). Id reccommend these products any day over a hardware desk. It is simpler to use, quicker to set up(you could argue about installing software but dragging a file with the name of your fixture is far easier than getting the manual out and working out what each DMX channel does), 10 times cheaper and much more powerfull(you can click a couple of buttons and you have lighting color and movement patterns. Take a look at Easy Stand Alone. www.nicolaudie.com. The lighting can be downloaded onto the box and used without a computer if required.

drop me an e-mail if you have any other questions simon@dmxsoft.com

Simpler to use?

Are you really saying that your software will be simpler and more intuitive when controlling 12 generic channels of dimming then something like a Zero 88 Alcora?

Come on!.

(well done for toeing the company line though)

Assume that the space will be hired out to other users, assume that they will not all be computer literate. ths has to be seriously simple and intuitive.

Software needs a computer, and in reality less than half of the population is even reasonably computer literate.

Well if I had a nice budget of £5k+ I'd opt for the lighting desk :rolleyes:. I own a few small lighting desks like the Martin 2518 etc.. but I find it much quicker and easier to use a simple software interface. However I understand why some people would prefer a big chunky expensive hardware desk (can get bashed around unlike a laptop, if you don't want to program anything it does the job easily...). And as I mentioned, the boxes don't need a computer, they can be disconnected and run on their own by pressing buttons to call scenes.

Well if I had a nice budget of £5k+ I'd opt for the lighting desk :rolleyes:. I own a few small lighting desks like the Martin 2518 etc.. but I find it much quicker and easier to use a simple software interface. However I understand why some people would prefer a big chunky expensive hardware desk. And as I mentioned, the boxes don't need a computer, they can be disconnected and run on their own by pressing buttons to call scenes.

You'd opt for a 5k lighting desk to control 12 channels?.

I think I'd opt for a secondhand Zero 88 Alcora for £150.

Guest lightnix
the ablity to program seans is needed

What sort of seans - Connery, Penn, Bean... or some other type? :rolleyes:

Sorry - couldn't resist it. I shall now fetch my coat and return you to the thread...

Let's get real here.

The OP only has 12 channels available.

A simple 2 preset 12 way desk is all that is needed.

Cheep to buy, simple to use, doesn't often fail and a new user can be trained in a matter of minutes.

Cheers

Gerry

It is simpler to use, quicker to set up(you could argue about installing software but dragging a file with the name of your fixture is far easier than getting the manual out and working out what each DMX channel does), 10 times cheaper and much more powerfull(you can click a couple of buttons and you have lighting dimmer, color and movement patterns).

He did mention that he didn't have any movers, or the requirement to control movers, so I'm not quite what youre on about "colour and movement patterns" and the ability to "drag the file with the name of your fixture" when the fixture is... well: "dimmer"!

I work for a company who makes lighting software too, and have used the the software for smaller things than 12 dimmer channels, but would still recommend that the OP does just go for a basic cheaper desk where you can turn it on, whack up the grand master and another fader and huzzah - light. It will be easier and simpler in the long run. Its fairly simple to see this box with faders on, find an on button, and push up some faders. Its a lot more complicated to wait for a computer to boot up and start, and then find the correct software, load the software up and then work out what to do. This is a school we're talking about, where the idiots are first class so simplicity is key!

If they do *insist* on having a computer to control it (quite why, I'm not sure), then have a bash at MagicQ and an enttec dongle. But for the price of a computer, OS, monitor, and DMX interface, I'd expect that you could get a small simple desk to do the same job!

However, to put on "the spotlight on the left" as someone in a village hall might want, you'll need to have a scene recall for every combination of lights. Also hardware desks don't have to be "a big chunky expensive" thing. This unit from Terralec weighs 2.8kg thats about the same as a laptop, with the same amount of desk space used too. If you opt for a software control, you've got the monitor/tower/keyboard/mouse all taking up room. Even if you use a laptop, you've still got the charger/case/usb lead for dongle all using room.

Your best bet is the above console, you want to make the lights work You don't have to work to do it.

Josh

Yes ok for a couple of dimmer packs I'd use a cheap hardware controller. I obviously didn't mean I would spend 5k to control 12 dimmers. But if you did want to take the software route and were planning on purchasing any other fixtures in the future, RGB fixtures etc, I would reccommend the software.

Archived