Sennheiser G3 Frequency banks

Solstace

Hi everyone!

Really simple question that I can't find a reliable, provable answer for:

If we buy the G3 100 or 300 series, can we make those work on the same frequencies (manually tuning if needs be) and get the same potential channel count as the 500 series? Or do the 100 and 300 series take up more radio bandwidth?

Hi everyone!

Really simple question that I can't find a reliable, provable answer for:

If we buy the G3 100 or 300 series, can we make those work on the same frequencies (manually tuning if needs be) as the 500 series? Or do the 100 and 300 series take up more radio bandwidth?

So long as the frequency ranges match then G2, G3 and even 'G1' are compatible in terms of modulation (occupied bandwidth), noise reduction system (HDX), etc. You may have to manually tune them as you say. Same goes in all cases for EW 100, EW 300 and EW 500 series whether 'g1', G2 or G3. The new 2000 series is also compatible.

In other words yes, you can buy the G3 100 or 300 series, and make those work on the same frequencies (manually tuning if needs be) and get the same potential channel count as the 500 series.

Only the 3000 and 5000 series (i.e. NOT Evolution) use different noise reduction (HiDyn +) and modulation characteristics.

Awesome, thanks Andy - that's very useful information.

As our man on the inside, would it be fair to ask you what marks the current 500-series apart from the 300? Looking at the spec-sheets I've found all I can tell is that the 500-series sets have more available frequencies in the preset Banks. Surely I must be missing something?

Good to know about potential issues with mixing 3000/5000-series systems too, though in my venue the chances we'll ever see such gear is somewhat limited to say the least.

The biggest change in the 500 series is the microphone capsules. On the handhelds you get 900 series heads (rather than the 800 series on the 100/300 range) and the lapel system is packed with an MKE-2 microphone rather than an ME-2.

Steve

Awesome, thanks Andy - that's very useful information.

As our man on the inside, would it be fair to ask you what marks the current 500-series apart from the 300? Looking at the spec-sheets I've found all I can tell is that the 500-series sets have more available frequencies in the preset Banks. Surely I must be missing something?

Good to know about potential issues with mixing 3000/5000-series systems too, though in my venue the chances we'll ever see such gear is somewhat limited to say the least.

I should clarify: you can mix 3000 with 5000 and vice versa, but not with any of the evolution ranges.

Regarding G3 300 v 500

You are right the 500 series has more preset frequencies per Bank than 300 series, but that isn't the only difference...

300 G3 has features aimed more at the installation market such as the easily accesible programmable mute switch on the hand held transmitters and a socket for the RMS 1 remote programmable mute switch on the SK 300 pocket transmitter.

500 G3 hand held transmitters come with evolution 900 series microphone heads as standard, whereas 100 and 300 series come fitted with 800 series heads, although there is nothing to stop you buying the 900 series heads separately and putting them on a 100 or 300 series handheld, they are all interchangeable. 500 series lavalier systems (EW 512 G3) are supplied with the MKE 2-ew microphone instead of the ME 2.

When we bought our nine 100-G3-A, I told SIFM (which is hard to find on the Sennheiser website) that I wanted to run sixteen units. I set up our units using the first nine frequencies on the list, had four more borrowed A units that I left as they were set when we got them, and five borrowed B or C range (I forget which). I had no RF troubles over the course of three rehearsals and five shows.

Archived