Microphone for Bagpipes

Bothy Cat

Hi, just wondering if anyone could give any suggestions as to what is the best mic for bagpipes. Our 6 piece band play a variety of celtic rock with full back line, and a relatively noisy stage as a result, and at the moment we simply use an SM58 directed midway onto the chanter part of the pipes only (no mics on the drones), but would appreciate any views on alternative options, either simply for the chanter only, or any systems that would be recommended to mic up the full pipes, bearing in mind this is a live situation and not recording.

best wishes

mike

They're not always as loud as you think, the reinforcement is usually to re-instate the definition.

I've tried lots of things in the past and I usually resort to a beta57, or 56 for a neater angle depending on where your stance lays. I'll often drop an SM81 or similar for the drones, the issue is they move about alot, so it can be hit and miss. I've never had any decent results with mics fastened directly to the pipes, though I don't exactly work with them alot.

how large are your typical venues that you need to significantly reinforce bag pipes?

Varies from function rooms for about 200 up to marquees/larger venues up to say 650 capacity. Back line all through our own pa for these gigs, and at majority of gigs pipes need reinforced given its a lead instrument in the band.

Just interested to hear if anyone has any particular experience or views on how best and what type of micing up is best for this instrument.

cheers

mike

They're not always as loud as you think, the reinforcement is usually to re-instate the definition.

Always worth checking - I once had a piper insist of double micing in a 150 capacity venue (with only about 30 people there), I got complaints from the bar next door before I put him through the PA, and the mics stayed muted the entire gig, stage noise and vocal mic bleed was quite enough.

Having said that I did jump to the assumption that we're talking great highland pipes and not somthing smaller like northubrian smallpipes or uilleann pipes. In which case I would definetly take your point about not as loud as you think.

I agree with Rob about the mics, beta 57a and c451 is my usual combination. However if your piper is rocking out the 58 your using might give you as good a result as anything on the chanter.

SM57 on the chanter and cardioid condenser on the drones. You need to get them to stand in one place though. Also, if the ambient sound around them is relatively high then the drones just get lost so don't bother.

Steve

Archived