Need some good advice on the Mackie PA system

Bobcat

I am currently using Peavey passive 12" speakers with a Peavey Mixer Amp and am a singer doing medium sized gigs, weddings (sometimes in a marquis) but my problem is the weight. My current speakers weigh 44lb each and are a bit bulky and have a storage problem plus I have 3 flights of stairs to climb before and after gigs. My brother uses Mackie SM450 version 1 for his gigs, but find they are too heavy for me, but I really like the quality of sound he gets from them.

I have been checking out version 2, possibly even in 10" - but have heard differing views on reliability and sound of the version 2's because of Chinese manufacturing.

Can anyone out there advice me on this? Thanks. :unsure:

Ive got a several sets of SRM450 V1's and V2's.

Sound wise I can't really tell the difference between them but the V2's are way lighter. I can easily carry 2 SRM450V2's (however Im not a small guy!)

As everybody else states the Mackies are not to everybodys taste but they do the job for me.

As for reliability , all the V1's Ive got have had no problems (chinese made) and my mates V1's (Italian) also have had no problems. However one of my V2's sparked over and blew the amp at turn on (no signal and gain turned down!) when it was about 11 months old. Mackie replaced it immediatley with a new one.

Kev :-)

Mackie's SRM450's used to utilise drivers manufactured in Italy by RCF when RCF was part of the Mackie family (Loud technologies I believe) at the time, the 450 was probably the first powered speaker to really deliver good quality & high spl in a consistent package. Since RCF bought themselves back out of the Mackie family about 4-5 years ago, Mackie started getting the drivers manufactured in China. They are quite clearly not as good, the definition is much harsher and should you be unfortunate enough to lose one of the original drivers and replace it, you end up with a very horrible sounding pair of unbalanced units. If you want similar quality, try an RCF unit, the 310's are a good stand-in at 350w, also smaller and lighter, but being a 10" LF driver lack a little in the lower end. If you're after a 12" equiv the 312 is a good stand-in, though it doesn't deliver a good high SPL in the same way as the Mackie due to it's complex built-in EQ and slightly underdone LF driver. If you want a like-for-like equiv then try the 322, but the list price is rather high, so be sure and negotiate it down to something more akin to the mackie price, but it will probably cost more, it will also sound much better.

Archived