DMX over Cat5

PaulDF

I have had a look at the Wiki and linked sites and I understand I can use Cat 5 UTP for DMX.

For the fixed part (about 15m) I was wondering if I can run 2 universes down a single Cat 5 cable? Is this what the Data 1 and Data 2 are referring to?

Or is Data 2 referring to the data from pins 4 and 5 from a 5 pin XLR DMX cable?

Thanks

Paul

Thanks, pins 4&5 are not connected in any of the leads I have so isn't much of an issue that way.

I just like the 5 pin plugs and sockets as they can't as easily be mixed up with the sound guys, shame some of the manufacturers don't seem to agree!

Data 2 is intended as "Secondary Data Stream", so it's acceptable to use it as a second universe down the same wire.

- This has quite often been done with DMX installed cable, either for later expansion or if a cable got damaged, to avoid the expense of opening the trunking and pulling extra or replacement cable.

RDM uses the same physical pair of wires as DMX, so there is no worry about a clash in that respect.

While there are some devices that use the secondary stream as 'talkback data', these are proprietary systems so if you don't currently have one, you're unlikely to need it in the future.

The IDC thing is just because CAT5 is normally an IDC fitted system. There's no reason you can't solder, in fact, you have to, as I've not yet seen 5 pin IDC panel mount connectors. CAT5 solders fine - just bend the end back on itself just wider than the solder bucket. Then it stays in place. Minimum heat for minimum time, and heat the bucket not the conductor works for me. The insulation shrinks back on the cores if they get too hot!

The IDC thing is just because CAT5 is normally an IDC fitted system. There's no reason you can't solder, in fact, you have to, as I've not yet seen 5 pin IDC panel mount connectors.
It's actually a standard part from ETC, although usually sold pre-fitted into custom faceplates/rack connector strips.

The 8-pin 'Phoenix' connector ETC uses for DMX is available in screw-terminal and IDC variants. (It's 8-pin so that you don't have random 'spare' conductors hanging around from the Cat5.)

There are tales of woe regarding soldered connections to installed solid-core wiring, I think mostly related to poor solder joints as there's no wicking effect.

- Basically it's very easy to get a dry joint.

Although they do tend to be more fragile than solder joints to stranded wire, for an in-wall installation that probably doesn't matter so much.

Archived