Unrated hanging clamps

TeeJay

Checking through our ironmongery of recent, we came across a bunch of hanging clamps.

These were the type that clamp around the bar held in place with a nut and bolt combo top and bottom and with a further bolthole above for fixings. In most of the ones we found, there was a ring through the hole (Page 2.02 of the Flints catalogue, item number FHS002HCR is nearest)

So far so fine - the problem is the absence of a CE mark, Batch ID or any markings at all. We're purchasing rated versions to replace them but are left with the quandary of disposing of the old ones.

I'm fairly certain that our borough household waste centre will take them (they list metal in the list of accepted items) but if anyone has a desire for hanging clamps for a use where being unrated is not a concern, and can get to North London to receive them (I'm not posting!), I'll give it a few days before I visit our local refuse centre.

Disclaimer - these hanging clamps have been used in the past, are likely to be several years old (or more), come with no fixing hardware (nuts, bolts, or other) and I doubt would meet any risk assessment for overhead use where injury may occur. I reserve the right to not give them away if I suspect your intented use may cause injury in future use.

the problem is the absence of a CE mark, Batch ID or any markings at all.

So have you ever come across any that do have CE marks, SWL, batch ids, etc ? I only ask because our flying system uses this style of clamp and ours aren't marked with anything. Our system is regularly inspected and not once has anyone mentioned the lack of markings on the clamps. Our flying system comprises of 18 bars 8 meters long with a SWL of 250kgs.

I think its only of recent that companies mainly doughty have actually been stamping there clamps with batch and swl... Could this be to the big up on the health safety side of things or even to help large companies keep control of there stock inventories maybe? There's more than one way to look at it. It certainly isn't "illegal" to use an unstamped clamp if used for the correct job. ;) P.S love the disclaimer!

We have a mixture of old, unstamped ones and newer ones supplied by both Flints and Rope Assemblies which are stamped.

The view of the people who did our recent LOLER inspection was that, though they are not marked, they are fairly easy to asses, being essentially a formed piece of steel, and therefore as long as they are free from obvious damage or deformation and are used correctly are fine.

I guess the same could apply to hook clamps which suffer the same problem.

T

Thought I aught to pipe in on this one...

Over here at Flints our scenery fittings that are issued for lifting purposes do now come with batch markings, CE markings and SWL. Over the last few years the world of health and safety has increased and we certainly felt that our company should be making moves to follow the ever stricter guidelines on lifting equipment. To this end we're now provisional (soon to be full) members of the LEEA(who's course and reference books are very good and comprehensive) and all of our lifting equipment is sent out with certs and/or reports of thorough examination. (for instance if there was ever a problem with crosby 2t shackle batch 'Abc' we could look up who's had them.)

Acording to LOLER lifting accessories (regarded as being anything below the hook of the crane!) should be getting inspected on a regular basis, and as such this is where the markings and certs come into play. Along with the individual markings to identify fittings.

All of our fittings have always been designed and manufactured to exact standards, we own our drawings and all the technical data for each fitting and batch. The calculations are worked out by an external engineer and this is how its always been done.

The fittings haven't really changed, but the effort that goes into producing them has massively.

Doughty for instance also follow this route with their excellent range of clamps being TUV and stamped.

Richard from flints

We have a mixture of old, unstamped ones and newer ones supplied by both Flints and Rope Assemblies which are stamped.

The view of the people who did our recent LOLER inspection was that, though they are not marked, they are fairly easy to asses, being essentially a formed piece of steel, and therefore as long as they are free from obvious damage or deformation and are used correctly are fine.

I guess the same could apply to hook clamps which suffer the same problem.

T

It's posts like Richard's that are the really useful stuff on the BR - we all have our own 'understood' versions of the way things are/should be - but the retailers are the ones who know, because of the implications of what might happen.

Thanks for putting us straight on this one, Richard.

Paul

Well thank you for the compliment Paul. I often find that theatrical training normally seems to leave out heavy technical areas such as lifting equipment and so there's large knowledge gaps within the industry on subjects such as this. Interestingly the inspection of equipment is meant to be carried out by a 'competent person' , the definition of this is something worth reading!

We're keen on trying to maintain a presense on the Blur Room now, as we see it as an important forum where ideas are being exchanged. We believe that the manufacturers and suppliers have a duty of care to be out in the public domain to impart knowledge to the best of our ability.

It's posts like Richard's that are the really useful stuff on the BR - we all have our own 'understood' versions of the way things are/should be - but the retailers are the ones who know, because of the implications of what might happen.

Thanks for putting us straight on this one, Richard.

Paul

Archived