WEEE

J Pearce

How are people doing lamp disposal?

I have a number of dead lamps in the store (and will have more once I've done IPAF and can get up to the rig to change out the other deads).

As these include a number of discharge lamps they obviously cannot be safely (let alone legally) be disposed of in general waste!

So, do the manufacturers honour their WEEE responsibilities and collect dead lamps? Are there free WEEE disposal points? Do we have to pay to get rid of them?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

City Electrical Factors have a very good WEEE system and will take any relevant waste at their branches ( lamps, monitors, computers etc etc) for a price.

I think were currently paying about 0.56p +VAT per lamp.

If you recycle a lot of lamps they will provide you with a box which they'll collect/exchange when full.

But we are paying a 'WEE' levy when we buy the lamps, why do we pay again when we dispose of them?

In our case they either go to the local tip (who accept lamps) as domestic waste or they go in or normal rubbish.

I was always under the impression that, by paying the 'WEEE Fee' whoever produced the lamp/electrical product has to dispose of it at the end of its life.

Link to some guidelines

Sorry, I am too tired to reasearch more today, if nobody else adds more I will try and look further into it another day.

Jon

I too am pressed for time today, but Rapid have a page on their site with info.

As I understand it, only lamps with mercury and similar hazerdous substances fall into WEEE. Tubes, discharge lamps etc. T class and similar halogens don't, and can go straight to landfill.

True, the rules only apply to lamps containing mercury, linear and compact flourescents, mecury vapour, and the many types of metal halide.

Incandescent, including halogen, may be disposed of as general waste.

If you only have a few lamps that need proper disposal, it might be simpler to store them until you have more

Guest lightnix

Never mind the lamps - what are you doing about all those old batteries?

Especially all the noise boys out there - we know what you're like when you get going with those radio mics: shelling PP3s and AAs like peas out of a pod, twice a day and again in the evening for the cabaret :o

In Australia, there are places (a local battery supplier) that take domestic quantities of dry cells and rechargeable (Ni-Cd & Ni-Mh) cells for free.

For lead acid batteries, I put them in the battery bin at the local refuse centre. (free to local residents) They also take polystyrene too which is good.

All the scrap metal & copper cable (we're a manufacturer too) also goes to the refuse centre. We could sell it to a metal merchant but it's not really worth the hassle for us.

Our local council has an "eWaste day" once in a while where you can dispose of electronic equipment for free, as long as you're not commercial.

Other "usable items" can be dropped off at the refuse tip (free for non-commercial, though they never ask!) and they get sold on-site in their "Recycle World" shop.

Lamps on the other hand have me flummoxed for the moment. We've just been saving the dead ones (from theatre light repairs) until we find a safe place to dispose of them.

In the London area, "City & West" will provide, for a one-off charge of about £20, a box into which all dead discharge and fluorescent lamps go. When it's full, they collect it and replace it with an empty one, at no further charge.

Archived