12/24V globe style lamps

timtheenchanteruk

We are doing A production of sweet charity shortly, and we are using 3 sided and 2 sided trucks, on one of the faces of these the director wants a functional dressing room "mirror" ie with lights round the outside.

because this is a school production, I want to use, iudeally 12V, if not 24V circuit, nothing to need plugging in, just a switch, and a battery or two.

Im trying to fine somthing that is of the 12/24V flavour in a glof ball style lamp, anyone any ideas, my next experiment is possibly with a 5W capsule and a ping pong ball.

these lamps dont need to give off too much light (don't want to blind the audience) but do need to be noticable.

This supplier

12/24 volt halogen lamps

Also have suitable lamps. They are appreiably more expensive than those linked to above, but might be worth considering since they use a 12 or 24 volt halogen capsule lamp inside an outer golfball envelope.

This means that they are more efficient than a standard incandescent lamp, this would permit the use of lower wattage lamps, and therefore a smaller and cheaper battery.

For lamps of significant wattage though, you will still need a relatively large battery.

For example if 20 lamps are required round a mirror, each of 20 watts, then that is clearly 400 watts.

To supply 400 watts, even briefly will require a 12 volt battery of about 35 A/H, bigger for prolonged use.

Batteries are relatively safe, but can supply many hundreds of amps if short circuited, with consequent risk of fire.

Therefore anything connected to a battery must have a suitable fuse fitted close to one of the battery terminals.

Vehicle type in line fuse holders are suitable in most cases.

A word of caution here....... although you will reduce the shock hazard by using a lower voltage lamp, you may well increase the fire hazard!

Consider the 40W 24V golf ball that lightnix suggested..... this will take a running current of 40/24 = 1.67A per lamp .... consider a string of say 12 of these around your mirror..... that gives almost 20A!!!! This is gonna be some heavy duty battery pack to support this and the wiring would need to be something substaintial like 2.5mm sq.... bell wire aint gonna do here! The problem would be even worse at 12V.

The OP's original suggestion of a 5W capsule lamp may well be more realistic...... that would have a running current of around 3A @ 24V for a string of 12 lamps.... this is a much more managable proposition.

Adrian

edit: adam2 beat me to it!!

Another supplier here 12 volt CCFL

These are 12 volt low energy lamps in a golfball shape.

Even more expensive, but due to the much reduced power, a much smaller battery could be used.

They are described as 3 watts but are actually about 4 watts.

20 of these would only be about 80 watts, which for brief use would permit a battery as small a 7 A/H.

NOTE the above supplier sell some "adult" goods, and the website might be considered unsuitable for our younger members.

PS if the cost of the above lamps is a burden, I might consider buying them from you after the show, for perhaps half price. PM if interested.

I use these at home for 12 volt standby lighting.

great, thanks, I did do a google, and but all the results I found were just standard 12V capsules etc, I knew there must be some somwhere (thinking boats caravans etc)

The link from adam has the best ones so far, a 5W capsule in a golfball surround.

power is no problem, I have both a 85Ahr and 110Ahr leisure battery that should be man enough for the job, only 2 5-8 min scenes so a 12V 5W lamp (12 string) by my calcs is 5A, so not too bad, would even be able to use a standard switch on the set 1.5mm would be enough too (or even 1mm)

My main concern is the stage crew is made up of pupils (albeit supervised) and plugging/unplugging a 15A lead in the dark isnt ideal.

12V battery, clamped down inside the truck, remove at night to charge jobs a goodun.

great, thanks, I did do a google, and but all the results I found were just standard 12V capsules etc, I knew there must be some somwhere (thinking boats caravans etc)

The link from adam has the best ones so far, a 5W capsule in a golfball surround.

power is no problem, I have both a 85Ahr and 110Ahr leisure battery that should be man enough for the job, only 2 5-8 min scenes so a 12V 5W lamp (12 string) by my calcs is 5A, so not too bad, would even be able to use a standard switch on the set 1.5mm would be enough too (or even 1mm)

My main concern is the stage crew is made up of pupils (albeit supervised) and plugging/unplugging a 15A lead in the dark isnt ideal.

12V battery, clamped down inside the truck, remove at night to charge jobs a goodun.

Sounds good, dont forget that a fuse is vital, but not too closely sized.

12 lamps each of 5 watts, would indeed be about 5 amps, I would suggest a 10 amp fuse and 1.5 mm wire.

My main concern is the stage crew is made up of pupils (albeit supervised) and plugging/unplugging a 15A lead in the dark isnt ideal

why ever not bet they can plug there ipod into a charging cradle in the dark ?

85Ahr and 110Ahr leisure battery

I'd be more concerned about that roaming around, a nice source of fireworks with some bits "borrowed" from physics B-)

your forgetting this is a school, and elf and stacy had been around here...

the battery wont be accessible anyway, and neither will any wiring, the battery will be clamped down, probably in a battery box for a bit of extra protection.

the wiring itself will be treat as though it is mains potential.

Guest lightnix

So why not use a 13A or 16A connector instead? ;)

Archived