Spare parts rip off

andylink

Can anyone explain to me, or better still justify (if anyone from Pioneer reads this) why I have just had to pay almost £10.00 for an EQ knob (just the plastic knob) for a Pioneer DJM800. It cost me £150.00 for 12 EQ knobs and 4 gain knobs. I had to replace them because the rubbery coating was coming away. That was a deal as well from a friendly dealer, Leisuretec originally quoted me over £900.00 plus vat for 2 complete sets! Are they hand made in Japan and flown over in a first class seat on a 747? I am not an end user I service kit, am I supposed to add my 30% charge a couple of hours labour and charge my customer £1500.00 for replacing the knobs on the two mixers in his club just out of warranty??

The spares distributor in the UK is Nedis Distribution, did you try them? They list the eq knobs for the DJM500 and 600 at £2.77..would they fit? Or a cheaper knob from a general component supplier? I can't imagine any nightclub being bothered about them not being genuine Pioneer knobs..they generally only get used in the dark.

Having great experience of nightclub mixers, I can say that most DJ's consider any type of knob (rather than the usual bare shafts) as a bit of a luxury anyhow!

When people realize how much the genuine articles cost, I expect to see a glut of them on ebay now..along with the nation's nightclubs (what's left of them!) bereft of theirs!

http://eshop.avr.gr/images/thumbs/0000362_300.jpg

Spares always cost more. In the factory, there will be bins of thousands of knobs. Put them in little plastic bags, seal them, number them, store them, stocktake them, computerise them, distribute part numbers for them, accept orders from distributers in foreign countries, send somebody to get them, parcel them up, frank them, post them, invoice them, accept payment for them. Then - in this country, do the same thing again, and you get it. Also - for every spare part that gets sold, how many are on a shelf somewhere in the world gathering dust - yet were paid for as stock. So maybe your one knob, costing hardly anything ends up costing a lot? I seriously doubt if the manufacturers make that much real money on spares.

Remember the story about how Philips (Strand) arranged for all their old spares for 300 and 500 series were shipped to the US for centralisation. You can see that although daft on the surface, from a cost and availability perspective, spares are a real pain!

Point taken, but I deal with lots of companies for spares from all parts of the world that manage to supply spares at a reasonable price, I expect to pay over the odds, but we are talking thousands of per cent mark up here. If Pioneer need to charge so much for a part that must only cost pence to produce maybe they need to look at making their operation more efficient.

If you think Pioneer are dear, let's hope you never need a part for Bose stuff!!

True...Bose are terrible for this!

About 7 years ago, The fuse blew in our Bose LIfestyle Surround Sound setup at home. And bose charged 250 to change a fuse...Needless to say I was not impressed!

Alan

give google a shot at finding you a cheaper supplier. There's hundreds of DJ shops out there. They still wont be that cheap mind you. I replace the odd knob on our 600s every so often and it hurts me to pay 7 quid a shot. You'd be able to change all of the EQ / Gain knobs to something else if that floats your boat, but as a service technician, it would be up to your client. Not something I do, but I have seen it done elsewhere. The only ones you HAVE to get pioneer knobs for is the FX ones, and they are just as expensive as your others.

Sorry it's not a better solution.

Indeed, to get the IEC inlet which Pioneer specced for our djm800 was silly money. Its a good mixer, but to be honest, not very well built. Seem to constantly be having to replace crossfaders, and we get the proper Pioneer ones! Oh well. Particularly compared to our DJM600, which never seems to have any issues! Wretched DJ's!

I think youre being shafted m8,..... sorry couldnt resist. Ive a range of DJMs on the bench at the moment and have some bits ordered...I'll let you know tomorrow how much I'm getting them for, I dont think its anywhere near that though.

Archived