recipe for blood

northlass

Does anyone have a recipe for fake blood they would be willing to share? We are doing McDeath on a tight budget and will have to make the gore. I have had a trawl on google and found recipes which ask for 'corn syrup'. I don't know hwat the British equivalent of this is. Have made up blood using swarfega and food dye before but it tends to stian a wee bit too permenantly. Washable would be good if poss. Thanks :blink:

Washable isn't going to happen I'm afraid - even the 'real' fake blood doesn't come out very easily. Bleach is the only thing I've found that can get rid of it, but that isn't always an option!

Corn syrup is a syrup made from maize, and I've not seen it available in the UK.

From the wikipedia description, it sounds more or less like golden syrup, so I can see that kind of 'blood' being very messy.

What do you need to do with the stuff?

Is it for makeup, bloodpacks or what?

(edit)

Just found a comparison chart for converting US to UK recipies.

Corn syrup = golden syrup.

Light corn syrup = glucose syrup.

thanks Tommo

I did think washable might be asking a bit much, but hey, you gotta try.

It is for general gore, makeup and maybe also for specific effects of the blood pack variety. I realise that different consistencies are better for diferent jobs- a basic recipe can be adapted.

Thanks for the info on syrups- it's going to be sticky and messy. Oh goody

:blink: B-)

If I can recall from the dark depths of my memory correctly B-) :blink: ..I recall that you can mix ribena concentrate with something to get a good blood....On it's own it looks good for bleeding mouths/noses, and is fairly pleasant for the actor involved....If I can remember the mixer I'll post it on here...but I suggest anything that makes ribena concentrate a little thicker would be a good start, i.e. a touch of syrup or sugar, maybe even a touch of cornflour

I agree washable is difficult - but we achieved good results using a commercially available blood (not Kensington Gore) and then ripping the (white )shirt from the dancer's back as soon as he came off stage, and plunging it (the shirt, not the dancer) into a bucket of cold water. the secret was to try not to let the blood dry. Then a bit of bleach in the washing machine - came up quite nice. I'm afraid I can't remember of the top of my head the name of the "blood" - just that it was "organic", and if you didn't keep it in the fridge it was liable to ferment, and it came from a make-up supliers in South Kensington. I'll try and contact my colleague on that show to see if he remembers more, but it was a few years ago.

Guest lightnix
A couple of suggestions here  for stage blood...

There are also recipes and ideas for stage blood here, here, here, here and here, not to mention all the others you can find by typing "stage blood" recipe into Google :blink: B-)

Most of them seem to use corn syrup and food colouring, with a warning that food colouring does not easily wash out of clothes.

If you're still looking, what we use is a mixture of cochineal food colouring and washing up liquid, which rinses out (fairly) easily with warm water if you get to it fast, or bleaches out perfectly.

One word of warning, be sure to get it off any staging, as we didn't and it was still showing through 15 coats, and 8 productions later!

• 3 weeks later...
ended up using a flour /water starch mix with food colouring and washing up liquid. Very realistic - I lost my dinner regularly while making it up and decanting it. Used over`six litres in 14 shows. It washed off the castle and props but left the actors looking vaguely as though they had been a bit close to the sun lamp..... :)

Archived