Dual VGA cable

c.cam108

I've had a wee Google but I am finding it hard to find what I am looking for.

In our church we use monitors on stage with 2 inputs. At the moment we use 2 VGA cables that are cable-tied together. I am looking for a neater solution, such as a single multicore VGA cable.

Does anyone know where I can find this? Either pre-made or I could buy by the metre and make up my own (eek!)

Thanks

Colin C

Out of interest, what are you trying to achieve.

You say two inputs - are you switching between sources, if so, you would be better switching at source and just feeding one VGA to the monitor.

If you are feeding two monitors with one source you could put a DA in at the first monitor and run a feed of that to the 2nd monitor.

If you are doing PIP then you will need 2 feeds, and I haven't seen a double VGA cable in my time doing this so you would be talking custom made. Usually, in this case, you would do as you have done and just loom two cables together.

HTH

We are switching between sources. It is the singer/musician operating it so it makes sense to use the controls on the screen.

I will look into using expanding sleeving. Never thought of it, although I've used it before. Thanks for the help!

Colin C

Hi, it might be worth checking out the Kramer VP-211DS auto switcher. http://www.kramerelectronics.co.uk/product...del.asp?pid=207

You assign a priority to one of the inputs, and whenever this input is live, the switcher will chose it.

To find out more, and if this unit will help your situation, call Kramer UK on 01296 330011

It's possible to use Cat5 cable for VGA (as a dirty fix, you can do it without any kind of adaptor, just use the cable with D type plugs on the ends - I've managed 50m with this arrangement with no noticeable problems). You can get dual Cat5 cable, although I've only seen solid core as opposed to stranded flexible stuff. It may be available though.

You could also use spiral wrap, you can buy it by the reel from electrical wholesalers and CPC do coils of it. It's a fiddle to fit over long distances but the results are good and it beats trying to make up your own VGA cables, this is fiddly indeed and hand-made cables like this aren't normally as robust as ones with moulded plugs...and I dont know where you'd get a single-twin cable.

VGA contains seperately screened R,G,B wires plus 2 syncs and other single wires. Bodging the connections with the wrong cable may work for one person but not for another, because of the multitude and range of frequencies a particular program, monitor and graphics card can select.

Thanks for the responses.

Nick, I don't think that will suit my situation as both sources will be live at all times.

Cedd, Cat5 is a possibility. I could loom two Cat5 cables together more easily than two VGA cables. The only problem is the cost associated with the adapters.

Robin, thanks but one unit is more than we paid for a computer and four monitors!

Kevin, I dunno how good that would look on the stage. Would be a lot simpler though.

Colin C

cat 5 baluns are about £25 plus VAT for each end, so max of just over £100 for the 4, of you can get crafty with splitting, we have a CAT5e line running VGA for digital signage, one balun vga>cat 5, otherend cat5>vga with a splitter going off to the 2 screens, ok they are only about 10 feet apart, burt you get the idea.

PC end

monitor end

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the responses.

Nick, I don't think that will suit my situation as both sources will be live at all times.

Cedd, Cat5 is a possibility. I could loom two Cat5 cables together more easily than two VGA cables. The only problem is the cost associated with the adapters.

Robin, thanks but one unit is more than we paid for a computer and four monitors!

Kevin, I dunno how good that would look on the stage. Would be a lot simpler though.

Colin C

Hi Colin

You might want to look at StageView monitors which have VGA/power loop through so you can daisy chain one to the next. We use them a lot in churches as they're also quite discrete. see http://www.stageview.co.uk/flash/index.html

Hope this helps

Martyn

Martyn

I don't know if you missed the part where the OP posted that he had to send two seperate signals to the monitors? This means that they wouldn't be able to use the monitors that you sell (but didn't disclose you were the dealer for ;) ) ... good try though...

Skizz - although your company supply monitors, the OP has monitors, he's looking for cables for his existing ones - buying more monitors is an expensive suggestion, but I guess you just want to flog a few monitors rather than a bit of cable. Tut Tut!

Archived