Studio Monitor Speakers

buck_rogers999

Hey Everyone,

I am looking at buying some good studio monitors for a recording studio so need some speakers that wont colour the sound to much. Also preferably powered as running out of space to put amps in etc.

Has anyone found some good ones or more so has any one found some that were particularly bad.

Price wise probably looking at about £400 for the pair but cud stretch to a bit more.

Thanks

Monitoring is a fairly big subject, and you've given us very little information to go on. Although there may be several who can suggest possible candidates for you to consider, I supect you will get a more focused answer at somewhere like Sound on Sound forums...

Hi,

I have a pair of Genelec 8020's and love them to bits. There very nice speakers Genelec are a well respected brand in the monitoring field.

Other than that - I know quite a few people running setups based around Yamaha NS10's.

Again If you can provide more information it'd help people advice better.

Alan

Another Genelec fan here though the 8020s will be outside your price bracket. I had a listen to the newish 6010A a few weeks back and the initial impression was very good--and up to remarkable when you consider the size. However, I haven't had a chance for a long term listen on the 6010s yet--and suspect that you might need the companion sub for many types of music which would take you over budget.

Outside the Genelec range, have a listen to some Tannoy Reveals (probably the 6D for your price). I've always quite liked these for the money.

Bob

+1 on the tannoys for a home set up. I've got a pair of the active ones and they sound pretty decent for the cash. I think if you shop around you might be able to get a pair, and the sub for around your budget.

If you can afford to go down the genelec route, then you wont be disappointed. Even the 1029s are a great little box for their size.

Yamaha NS10s are still everywhere!! Nice sounding and I like to mix multi layer vocals through them and they give good clarity.

Simon is probably right that you'll get better answers on the sound on sound forum, and while you are over there you can check out their review sections.

I'd take a look at the studiospares website then look around google for review of each box. Either that or if you are city based, get along to either sound control, Digital village or turn key or whatever your local audio shop is and get a good listen with a CD that you know very very well. I always use massive attack because I know it inside out and can spot if something is missing / enhanced.

Also, let us know what you go for. It's always nice to get a conclusion.

With Genelec outside of your budget, the Reveals are a good option - I like mine.

NS10's are an acquired taste. I have some & have mixed a fair few albums with them, over more years than I care to remember but some peeps find them hard work.

BTW, Bog paper over the HF driver really was the norm.

Find a dealer that will let you listen to a few options in a good, 'control room realistic' environment.

Dave

I've recently bought some Adam A7s, and couldn't recommend anything else. They're quite far out of that price bracket, but they sound absolutely stunning. I haven't heard them, but the smaller model, the A5 may be a viable option. Just don't expect earth-shattering bass.

I had a listen to Dynaudio BM5s, BM6s, Genelec 8030A, and know the Mackie HR824 and Tannoy Precision 6D quite well, although didn't get to A/B them with the Adams. The Adams were, in my opinion, clear winners. Far more neutral and open than the others, with amazing high-end extension. The only argument against them is that you may need a sub. With A5s, I'd imagine you'll almost certainly need a sub. This all depends on the kind of music you're going to be mixing though...

At the end of the day, use your ears. I would never buy speakers without extensive listening first; I listened to the Adams for a good two hours before I purchased them, and actually had a go at fiddling with some of my mixes through them with Logic - what is one person's chalk may be another person's cheese. I know someone who swears by his Dynaudios, but they sounded goddam terrible IMO in comparison to the Adams.

Can I just throw in my comment (I hope it might help?)

It's not just the monitors that could colour the sound, it may be the design of the room and it's acoustical properties (you don't want to be getting square waves etc)

Am I correct in saying that? :blink:

You mean standing waves :rolleyes:

Yes, although I would assume the OP has sorted the acoustics out as he states it's for a 'studio' and not a 'home studio' or bedroom.

It's worth bearing in mind the choice of monitor can affect how the speaker interacts with the room. For example, the Genelecs are rear ported, making them a little more sensitive to placement than front-ported speakers, especially when placed against a wall (which I think contributes to the slight low-end exaggeration I've heard on a lot of the smaller Genelecs.

I've recently bought some Adam A7s, and couldn't recommend anything else. They're quite far out of that price bracket, but they sound absolutely stunning. I haven't heard them, but the smaller model, the A5 may be a viable option. Just don't expect earth-shattering bass.

I had a listen to Dynaudio BM5s, BM6s, Genelec 8030A, and know the Mackie HR824 and Tannoy Precision 6D quite well, although didn't get to A/B them with the Adams. The Adams were, in my opinion, clear winners. Far more neutral and open than the others, with amazing high-end extension. The only argument against them is that you may need a sub. With A5s, I'd imagine you'll almost certainly need a sub. This all depends on the kind of music you're going to be mixing though...

At the end of the day, use your ears. I would never buy speakers without extensive listening first; I listened to the Adams for a good two hours before I purchased them, and actually had a go at fiddling with some of my mixes through them with Logic - what is one person's chalk may be another person's cheese. I know someone who swears by his Dynaudios, but they sounded goddam terrible IMO in comparison to the Adams.

+1 for ADAM audio. yes they're expensive, I have a pair of the larger P11As, but I doubt I'll need to better them. the response is true, the transients are superbly accurate. however, for this reason they don't make for easy listening, they fatigue your ears rather quickly!

I found them to sound more detailed than any of the other monitors I listened to, not only with separation of instruments (which makes mixing on them very easy) but the imaging is fantastically precise and spacious.

I personally don't find them fatiguing, I suppose it depends on the ears! I found the Dynaudios to be quite unpleasant to listen to (sounded like the tweeter was doing loads lower down in it's range, then rolling off quite quickly, and the mids weren't really present at all) with very over-the-top bass. The Genelecs were the closest to the Adams IMO, and even then, they seemed to hype the bass slightly, the imaging didn't sound like a high-end system (which the Adams seem to manage), and the tweeters just didn't have the extension of the Adams...

+1 for the feature set of the Genelecs though, every monitor should come with those little rubber pods, and mount on top of a mic boom!

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for all your inputs. Sorry for being so slow to read them. Looks like I am going to be able to stretch my budget to £500. I am going to be using them to mix live recording of a standard 7 piece band.

I have been looking at the Yamaha HS80M's or the MSP5. Any one had any experience with these.

Also does anyone know of any companies/shops who have a demo room?

Seeing everyone's posts I think I really need to have a listen to the genelecs.

The Genelecs are good, but I'd strongly urge you try and listen to the Adam A5s as well at some point. From what I've been told, they sound just like all the A7s, but with less bass, and a bit sweeter.

Personally, I can't stand the Yamahas. The HS80Ms are good, but I find them very, very fatiguing, and not as effortless as the Adams (which you may have noticed have become my reference point for monitors). The HS80M just didn't sound very dynamic...

The MSP5 is horrible. All top end, massively fatiguing (ie, you just won't be able to listen to them for extended periods) and absolutely no low end to speak of. More of a 'new NS-10'. I've used the MSP5s a great deal and wish I hadn't...

Archived