Loss in RG59

billy bobinski

Hi Guys.

I have been testing some new kit using a simple set up of camera one end, monitor the other and over a 200 metre length of RG59 and have been losing (using appropriate peak to peak metre) 350mV over this distance.

This seems a little high to me so I tried it on 100m of a different manufacturers cable and lost around 200mv. these were both from an input signal of not far off 1.2 volts p to p.

Has anyone got any idea what the acceptable losses are over 100m? Because both these findings are apparent on the final image quality.

Your help would be appreciated as always.

For very long runs I tend to use Canford VCS - (BBC PSF1/3M) - annoyingly the specs for generic RG59 and this make comparison difficult, but the VCS is lower loss, and it's better screened too - and much tougher. The main issue I always have with long cables isn't so much the video loss, it's unpredictable sync, as the sync pulse falls too low.

Archived