Small sound desk with 6 outputs

torch1972

So in the theatre I have 6 JBL powered speaker, 1 JBL powered sub and a mackie desk with 12 input, left and right main outputs and 2 aux thats not enough outputs. I am looking for sound desk that with allow me to output to all 7 seven speakers individually. I don't have much space in my control box for anything large than a desk with 16 inputs.

I was thinking I could find a desk with 12 or 16 inputs and 6 auxs. Then on the wish list would be the desk would have some effects built in. However I have not been able to find anything. My budget is £600 or less but I am open to other suggestions if it fits what I want.

I was thinking I could find a desk with 12 or 16 inputs and 6 auxs. Then on the wish list would be the desk would have some effects built in.

Allen & Heath Mixwiz 16:2 would be just fine. Unfortunately, as it seems to be £787 from most online sources, it's just outside your budget...

I was thinking I could find a desk with 12 or 16 inputs and 6 auxs. Then on the wish list would be the desk would have some effects built in. However I have not been able to find anything. My budget is £600 or less but I am open to other suggestions if it fits what I want.

Or maybe 4 groups and main left right, would that be better?

Alto 16 channel, there's loads of outputs on that and it's less that 400 quid. Definately not the best as far as the market goes, but it also has on board effects. A band I do quite a bit with have one, and honestly, they are OK for the price.

See here; http://www.terralec.co.uk/mixing_desks/alt...er/20990_p.html

What exactly are you trying to achieve with this set up? Are you wishing to send separate mixes to each of the seven boxes? Or just have localised level control of each box?

Assuming the first... The problem I see with you having on an analogue desk is returning the built-in effects output back into a channel strip and then out via the auxes to each box. Most desks of that nature that I've used (MixWiz included if memory serves!) don't have hardware outputs for the FX engines, which you would need to make this idea work.

Personally, I'd be looking at Bobbsy's suggestion of the 01V96 and utilizing the main outputs along with the more flexible omni-outs to do what you need.

If it's the latter and you want the same mix, just at different levels to different boxes... I'd say look at taking the main outputs and sending it on to the boxes via a cheap LMS such as the ubiquitous Behringer DCX2496. Easy peasy and you'll get change from £200.

Just my two cents!

I was thinking I could find a desk with 12 or 16 inputs and 6 auxs. Then on the wish list would be the desk would have some effects built in.

Allen & Heath Mixwiz 16:2 would be just fine. Unfortunately, as it seems to be £787 from most online sources, it's just outside your budget...

if not a 16:2, try a 14:4:2. their auxes are more like a GL I believe, where auxes 1-4 and 5-6 are on two different switches. the 16:2 only has 3-4 switchable.

I say this because I think you'd want all your auxes on post fade.

What exactly are you trying to achieve with this set up? Are you wishing to send separate mixes to each of the seven boxes? Or just have localised level control of each box?

I am trying to achieve best way to send separate mixes to each of the seven boxes and the most straight forward way of operating a show. I am not looking for surround system. For example the show in at the moment there are two onstage speakers, two FOH and the sub, I am running Qlab from a mac mini though a personus firestudio and have a couple of mics on stage. I would like to use the the final two speakers as spot speakers either onstage or in the house but that can't be done with the desk I have.

Would the beringer 2442FX do for what I want?

Second hand 01V96 gets my vote. By far the most flexible. A wizard is fiddly as you only get 6, you need internal jumpers and with what you're doing the FX become unusable given the current outputs.

The Wizard Monitor board and a stand alone fx unit would work but you'd probably struggle to find one second hand at any price, let alone within budget.

Is it a full time thing or a one of show, or run of shows?

Yeah. Having heard your actual use, I'll delete the "?" from my original post. The O1V96 would give you your discrete mixes far more easily than using lots of auxes on an analogue mixer. It also answers your desire for onboard effects nicely with Yamaha SPX quality--and you can automate changes of routing with presets. Heck, you could even trigger Q-lab with MIDI outputs from the desk!

(In the "money where my mouth is" stakes, for a similar application I bought a DM1000 for all the same reasons--only reason it wasn't an O1V96 was that I needed more inputs and a couple of the other features).

Bob

It also answers your desire for onboard effects nicely with Yamaha SPX quality--and you can automate changes of routing with presets. Heck, you could even trigger Q-lab with MIDI outputs from the desk!

You can - and with an 01V96 you can recall the scenes over MIDI from QLab as well, the midi control does give a lot of possibilities. I designed a show a couple of years ago that had a door on stage, with a piano playing behind it - we stuck an SX300 behind the door, played a piano sound through it, and when the door was opened we used a MIDI fade out of QLab into an 01V96 to lift the Mid EQ Gain on the piano channel. Effect was the sound lifted with the door opening - very effective and couldn't have been achieved by other methods here.

The 01V96 and QLab will also allow you to route live sounds arounds via MIDI control of presets as well, rather than just re-recorded.

Alto 16 channel, there's loads of outputs on that

I have a smaller version of this suggestion; if you need an analogue desk with loads of output possibilities, then these little Altos are it.

But a little Yammy digital is a far better tool.

It's ok to have lots of outputs, but its how you do and how you can and cannot route to them that often lets them down. For example and aux send is very flexible as you can send as much or as little of each source to it as you like. However with a group out, or a tape out, or any other silly little output that isn't a real output but looks better if you can add one to the number on the advert, its all or nothing. Also worth noting that alot of these other outputs are stereo, and selection is done as a pair, and control is done as a pair, taking the flexibility away.

If you really want complete control, then each output much be adjustable individually like an aux send.

Archived