Any Advice? Sound Rig gets Bigger and Bigger.

sammy9480

Hi,

Im in a state of bother I dont want to spend any more money my rig comprises of

4 tops in bi amp mode (peavey ul15)

2 bins (peavey 215)

4 sub bass (Peavey 118s)

my amp rack is set up as follows

peavey Eq

peavey 3:4 way xover

alesis compressor

CS1400 running the horns

CS2000 running the mids in tops

CS4080 running the twin 15 bins

another CS4080 running the 4 18bins in 4ohm mode

I am currently happy with the way the tops produce their sound have no probs there but bass I want a bit more punchy what should I do?

I know nexo and turbosound are great performers but do I really want to spend so much money?

Any advice?

If I read it correctly, you're looking for ways to make your Peavey rig sound better in the bass area, without spending more money?

Peavey have a characteristic sound. Some love it, some hate it - but trying to change it may well be wasted effort. The typical Peavey sub sound is more a sort of mellow bass extension rather than a kick in the diaphragm thud. They're just not designed for this kind of sound. If tweaking your crossover hasn't adjusted it to your taste, then that's about it - sorry.

you wont get punchy bass from those peaveys, they just dont do that, ive used enough peavey in my time to know.

also how are you using 4 tops at the same time? the UL15's arent designed to array together

with regards to this my main local peavey dealer is a great technician he has made a pass through for the biamp using one of the inputs in the back of two of them.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Ok so bass is no go with peavey how about using a pair of twin 18 turbos can I run them straight off one of the CS4080 amps or will I need a controller for them. Someone has them locally for sale. And if I can what value would I get for all my bins they are all in perfect order i.e. voice coils are not blown on any nor farting or anything! or anyone selling something that I could run off two CS4080amps

It would depend which turbo subs. Reflex subs are just going to need crossover settings. The short horn styles, TSE118/218 TSW718/218/721 TFS780L TFL760L (spot the similar subs) THL828 etc etc are going to require additional processing for delay, though really it's the top boxes that require the delay. 1 amp channel per box for the 4ohm subs. They're going to outdo the peavey boxes, but don't expect a single 18 to knock the socks of 2 18's and 2 15's :)

The peavey boxes are sadly worth very little considering their retail price, though they are sought after by people "who use that type of thing".

with regards to this my main local peavey dealer is a great technician he has made a pass through for the biamp using one of the inputs in the back of two of them.

this wasnt my point, the Peavey top speakers are designed to be used one per side, not two per side, having done this once myself, it sounded pretty horrible

I'm confused. The point of making trapezoidal shaped loudspeaker cabinets is what? So that when placed next to another, you can use the loop out sockets the manufacturer has cunningly placed on the rear to connect to the other one?

I can't see any issue with arraying these, they do seem to have been designed to allow it to happen. They're not the best sounding boxes on the planet, but they are popular.

I'm confused. The point of making trapezoidal shaped loudspeaker cabinets is what?

Because there'll be less cabinet resonance issues than with a rectangular design? Because the necessary internal volume can be optimised without compromising other aspects of the design? So they can be used on the floor as wedges?

The horizontal dispersion of those boxes is 90 degrees. The small angle on the side of them would cause a massive overlap in their response if "arrayed". I really don't think this is the reason for the shape of the cab. Boxes that array well have to be carefully designed to do so; I'm not convinced that Peavey would consider this a priority.

Happy to be proved wrong though :)

I can't see Shez guessing incorrectly here.

Didn't the old HiSys boxes that were square look rubbish, but the later ones in trap form..... ooo that's good. My guess is it's got absolutely nothing to do with the sound, the arrayability, or anything else useful.

The boxes in question work absolutely fine and in the scenario these types of box are normally used for. The application, which of course is not normally touring, putting 2 together isn't going to start a world war or spread smallpox around the country, it's just going to sound every bit as average, but a bit louder and less linear.

The cabinet woodwork angle has got nothing to do with the dispersion angle of the horn - unless the designer has specifically chosen to incorporate the two.

There are trap boxes where the manufacturer reccommends tight side by side arraying, and others where a specific inter box distance is needed.

Of course there are boxes where arrayability isn't even understood by the manufacturer, and they just copy what the big names produce to help boost sales;-)

That said, although putting two 90 degree horizontal horns side by side isn't acoustically pretty, it's not the end of the world , and it will still make noise. There will always be complex, frequency dependent cancellation and addition occuring just by placing single speakers close to boundaries...

Simon.

The cabinet woodwork angle has got nothing to do with the dispersion angle of the horn - unless the designer has specifically chosen to incorporate the two.

There are trap boxes where the manufacturer reccommends tight side by side arraying, and others where a specific inter box distance is needed.

Of course there are boxes where arrayability isn't even understood by the manufacturer, and they just copy what the big names produce to help boost sales;-)

That said, although putting two 90 degree horizontal horns side by side isn't acoustically pretty, it's not the end of the world , and it will still make noise. There will always be complex, frequency dependent cancellation and addition occuring just by placing single speakers close to boundaries...

Simon.

Yes correct in a few ways :)

Each speaker is made with a certain dispersion. As the sound waves leave the speaker, they disperse at 90 degrees for example.

By putting 2 speakers next to each other (side by side) the sound waves will disperse and bounce into each other in the middle - This in turn causes troughs in the waves which leads to poorer quality and lesser volume!!!

SO simply, More is Less!!!

;)

Toby

Each speaker is made with a certain dispersion.

erm... some speakers are... For most it is fair to say that there is a low frequency drive unit that exhibits fairly omnidirectional behaviour but with increasing directivity with increasing frequency up to the crossover point. a good designer will cross over before any beaming or lobing effects get too nasty.

The directivity and pattern control of the HF component is largely down to the horn geometry and size.

Look at the horizontal and vertical directivity plots of any decent speaker and you will see a range of 'angles' covered.

By putting 2 speakers next to each other (side by side) the sound waves will disperse and bounce into each other in the middle - This in turn causes troughs in the waves which leads to poorer quality and lesser volume!!!

They do not "bounce into each other". Troughs are not formed from "collisions". Think about two sets of ripples on a pond - there can be addition and cancellation where they meet, but then the wave carries on.

SO simply, More is Less!!!

Depends upon several factors... Two 90x40 boxes placed close to each other are not likely to array nicely, but a point source array might, and a line source uses interference and coupling to achieve modified directivity.

The issue being discussed here is what happens when two boxes not designed to array are placed close to each other.

Simon

Simon

Hi,

Im in a state of bother I dont want to spend any more money my rig comprises of

4 tops in bi amp mode (peavey ul15)

2 bins (peavey 215)

4 sub bass (Peavey 118s)

my amp rack is set up as follows

peavey Eq

peavey 3:4 way xover

alesis compressor

CS1400 running the horns

CS2000 running the mids in tops

CS4080 running the twin 15 bins

another CS4080 running the 4 18bins in 4ohm mode

I am currently happy with the way the tops produce their sound have no probs there but bass I want a bit more punchy what should I do?

I know nexo and turbosound are great performers but do I really want to spend so much money?

Any advice?

What are your crossover points?

Andy

I stand corrected,

Science teacher will be informed of her failure or I may be informed of my misunderstanding :blink:

I apologise for completely failing at explanations,

Will get facts right next time

Interesting what happens though (when explained correctly)

Sorry simon :blink:

Toby

Archived