DLCs

gdavey

Hi there,

I'm thinking about using DLCs for a show I'm doing in December. I know they'll do the effect I want, but I am also aware of the difficulties of using them. We have quite a short tech period, so I am very nervous about using something that are renowned for being tempermental. My only problem is, nothing I can think of will do anything like the same job. Does anybody out there know of any hire companies that have some very reliable DLCs in stock, or does anybody out there that I have overlooked that will do a similar job?

Cheers

Guy.

Well , now they run on DMX without having to use Lightworks - or what ever it was - they are easy to use I think, but still a pain in the a*se!

Can you get scrollers for Howie batterns ? That would be my answer- , but then thats a fixed angle.....

Erm.....

In the past , I ve used a bunch of CP Pin scans to create the moveable 'wall of light', with some light diffusion added, but then again no colour was needed!!

Its a pity , because the concept of DLC's is great but as jonathon says - the having to do regular fault fixing on them defys belief. I cant of it right now, but there surely must be another device that does the same thing , even without the 'notorious' pitching.

LED seems obvious option (unless tungsten source was important) but I can't think of any battens that move. The only LED moving head in a rectangular format I know of is the Robe REDWash. Of course if controllable movement isn't required then there are plenty of contenders - perhaps Pixelline/Pulsar Chromabank?

There was one at Plasa that had two battens in a casing, and each batten moved individually.

If it was narrow enough you could probably use the independent movement to fake beam width control (up to the limit where the hotspots become so far apart that you end up with two separate beams).

The ADB Svoboda batten with yoke might give the effect you are looking for. Not sure if anyone in the UK hires the moving version though, so would require some more research.

Neg Earth Lights have some Svoboda units, as used on the Hoosiers UK tour recently, and White Light should still have some - but I'm not sure whether they have the optional yokes.

HTH

Barney

If you are not worried about changing colour then you might want to think about studio duo CS4s,

Mark

I second that suggestion..

Stick some Lee 256/Half Hampshire frost in each can to soften the beams up a bit, works a treat if its the light curtain type effect your after. Just shame about the lack of colour changing :blink: Ohwel, 201 looked great for everything on that occasion :blink:

Only other thing I can think of would be some sort of narrow beam LED batten, I know they're about.. Good luck!

HTH, T

By indicating "DLCs" what are your requirements? Pin spot beam, colour change, movement one or two axis (parallel or independant)...

This would help suggesting alternatives.

An Idea: we built some beam lights using two 9 light battens with 12v PAR 36 series wired spaced at 20cms +/- for a theatre production "light cage" (not Star Trek but a Greek mythology production!) Each 2m long batten was two folded 0.5mm sheets with holes cut for lamps and holders, end plates and screws provided adequate rigidity. Worked brilliantly but care had to be taken not to shock the lamps withour a preheat... finding one blown lamp of 18 takes time.

Cost low, most time involved with cutting holes and assembling lamp holders.

Care must be taken since the lamps are at MAINS voltage so adequate cable insulation, precautions and care is due. They are usually hung - once we had them on the ground for a concert and a fan stepped on them... out went a dimmer on ELCB protection!

Hi there,

I'm thinking about using DLCs for a show I'm doing in December. I know they'll do the effect I want, but I am also aware of the difficulties of using them. We have quite a short tech period, so I am very nervous about using something that are renowned for being tempermental. My only problem is, nothing I can think of will do anything like the same job. Does anybody out there know of any hire companies that have some very reliable DLCs in stock, or does anybody out there that I have overlooked that will do a similar job?

Cheers

Guy.

I had several on Dancing on Ice from PRG earlier in the year which were fine. They were used for a Girls Aloud track -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbinC30AB_8

In a perfect world you need a tech that 'loves' them, and for that tech to prep them as well. As it was a weekend show I arranged for the prep tech to come out to site to look after them. That means they'll get prepped especially well, and they'll also know their foibles.

I have been warned that the 'pitching' version are fraught with difficulties though so you might want to avoid them.

Cheers

Dave

I love the old bally-ho (spelling) effect on DLC's!! Always scares me though seeing them move that fast for a few minutes!!-just waiting for them to jam up or the scroller stick! Hehehe

Saw that effect used last week at the National Theatre for 'Mother Courage'. Fun fun fun!!

Nice lighting Dave, particually the opening of the song!

Archived