LED cans

Dmx512

Just bought some LED cans from CPC..."Pulse" eco led par 56 and just tried to set them on a flow through the colours slow cross fade but get the blue leds flicking to full at a point in the fade thus spoiling the smoothness....is this a design fault or do they all do this.....any info apreciated....Ta....... Dave

Take a look at the thread a couple of posts above this by richardc 198?. Seems to be quite a common problem. Also, at gig last night and the LD was using LED battens and the dimming on those at 0 to 20% was really rough.

I've got a feeling we have way to go on LED's yet.

Edit: Grammar, Timothy!!

Guest lightnix
...the LD was using LED battens and the dimming on those at 0 to 20% was really rough...

That was possibly the PWM, rather than the LEDs.

There's more to LEDs than the LEDs, if you know what I mean :huh:

...the LD was using LED battens and the dimming on those at 0 to 20% was really rough...

That was possibly the PWM, rather than the LEDs.

There's more to LEDs than the LEDs, if you know what I mean :huh:

The problem is our eyes, rather than the LEDs or PWM. Our eyes are much more sensitive to variations in brightness when the light is dim, than they are when the light is bright - if the control is linear, you can see a big difference between 1% and 2%, but you can't really tell much difference between 75% and 100%. So you need to have much finer control over the LEDs at the low levels. This is hard to achieve with simple cheap drive circuits.

So you need to have much finer control over the LEDs at the low levels. This is hard to achieve with simple cheap drive circuits.

Indeed the important word here being cheap. I'm afraid if you buy the cheaper end of the market than you can't expect the equipment to be as good as say, a Thomas Pixelpar or a Mac 401. This problem certainly seems to be fairly common problem among the chinese led cans. I was working on a show recently where the green leds were similarly affected.

The problem is our eyes, rather than the LEDs or PWM.

Ah, I see. Technology is right and nature is wrong. Fair enough. In a couple of million years we'll have evolved to sort that problem out! :huh:

Sorry to misrepresent what you're saying slightly, but the technology should interface with the human being not the other way round, it seems to me. If it doesn't work for our eyes then it's the technology that isn't good enough yet. So the problem IS with the technology.

The problem is our eyes, rather than the LEDs or PWM.

Ah, I see. Technology is right and nature is wrong. Fair enough. In a couple of million years we'll have evolved to sort that problem out! :)

Sorry to misrepresent what you're saying slightly, but the technology should interface with the human being not the other way round, it seems to me. If it doesn't work for our eyes then it's the technology that isn't good enough yet. So the problem IS with the technology.

Yes of course, I was just trying to explain why LED dimming is not very good on cheap fixtures.

Archived