Turbosound PA

Jazzhands

Hi All,

I posted on this forum last year, when I was in the hunt for a new PA system for my self contained gigs and sometimes gigs with a band.

I bought the turbosound TQ315`s and the TQ115 subs. My question is really that it seems to me that the 115`s don`t put out all that much when linked through he tops. Would anyone know of I used a group out from the desk and gave them a seperate feed whether this would help to balance the sound more or am I missing a trick here? Also there is an A-B mode on both the tops and the subs, in B mode the tops have a severe sound difference, but the subs to my ears sound no different on A or B mode.

I`ve been working with DJ`s and going through their systems and found that the 800watt or 130ish spl figures for my subs don`t tie in with listening to other guys gear (I did use a fohhn rig with one 15 sub that had it seemed far more bass yet that was a 1000watt and my two 115s give 1600!!).

Would I be as well to sell on the subs and invest in something more powerful to go with the tops? Or can I get more from this config I`ve already shelled out for??

I am a PA novice really, though my ear is fair as a musician, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

This sounds weird to me. How have you got your system set up?

Cheers.

Andy

Hi Andy, I have the XLR`s out of my desk into the subs and then out of the subs into the tops.

Rob Beech did mention to me how the tops were much bigger than the subs, was looking at behringer dcx2496 as possible way of more control???

Chris,

Are not the TQ boxes passive / biamp units? If so, what amplifier are you using with them (or is your desk a "powered" desk?). are you using a crossover?

If the amp rating is not close to Turbo's recomended output power, you may have an issue. Also, if you are using a single amp channel to drive both bass bin and top, you are unikely to get optimal sound...

Simon

Simon, it is nice to know that I am not alone......

I don't know the active boxes at all so will bow out as I am sure that there others who do. I will have a quick Google just to satisfy my curiosity and may return to offer more useless advice or to learn from people who actually know what they are talking about.

Cheers.

Andy

I suspect that the system may well be doing a good job. However, you compare it to the DJ system, and we're not comparing like for like. The intended application for your kit is corporate, industrial, theatre and audio visual applications - NOT dance music. DJ systems have very different requirements, and artificial bass balance is one of them. Your bass driver voice coils are rated at 400W RMS, the autosensing amp is not going to let you drive them to destruction, so bass will sound weak, if you compare it to the less musical thud that comes from other kit designed differently.

If you try to drive them from another source, or use a graphic to boost bass, my guess is that it will still sound 'wrong' - but only 'wrong' if you want unbalanced, artificial kick-ass thuddy bass.

Hi.

Are we talking DP's or SP's. I don't think they ever made a 315 SP or a 115 SP but I could be wrong.

With the DP's the mode switch is a critical part to the system. In position A the 315 will act as a full range box, where as position B will introduce a HPF and is designed for use with Subs. On the Sub, the Mode switch is used to lift the output of the sub by 3dB.

For normal operation, BOTH units ought to be in mode B, however, I'd suggest using which sounds best to your ears.

You need to remember that the TQ315 is an incredibly loud box, and depending on your program material, between 4 and 8 of the 115DP's will keep up with each 315 providing that 1 box achieves the correct coverage.

I run the TQ315's with 2 TSW718's per box and regularly run out of sub first.

Rob

Morning,

these speakers are the tq315dp and 115dp! Powered speakers ( not sure what the Sp/Dp difference would be )

Well in reply to Paulears I get that about artificial bass and I am very pleased at the level of quality I have compared to other systems I`m not looking for thuddy kick ass whatever it was you mentioned, But as Rob mentions it looks very much as though my system is unbalanced at present. If I really need 2 or 4 115`s a side to keep up with 1 315 box then wouldn`t you agree?

As such I doubt that I very often push the tops too much and so thought seperate control of levels might be a way of balancing in more. The B mode switch which Rob mentions in my opinion goes too far to cut the frequency range.

I am a little confused by the bass driver coils being rated at 400 watts and the auto sensing thing I thought the 115s were 800 watts? Does the auto sensing thing mean that they have built in protection against overdriving?? I have noticed that on the top boxes there is a red light that sometimes flashes which I watch with great care, but the chap I bought the system from said it was fine so long as It wasnt on permanently.

thanks for your time,

Chris

If you look around the forum you'll notice that on quite a few occasions people suggest an amplifier that is up to 2 x the rms value of a speaker for headroom purposes. This is simply what's happening here, the driver is a 400watt rms 8ohm driver and the amplifier an 800watt @ 8ohm module. This ensures headroom and allows the box to perform to its full potential. The electronic jiggery pokery within the box will determine whether the driver is too warm and attenuate input power accordingly. For example, if you are pushing the box and giving it an average of 400watts with peaks of 800watts, everything is fine, but if you start pushing harder into compression and limiting and your average exceeds 400watts then the amplifier will attenuate to keep the voice coil temperature at an acceptable level. This is something that your average amplifier and unpowered box won't do, it'll just keep throwing the power in until the driver lets out its magic smoke.

As for the Mode switch. with a 115 in B mode and a 315 in A mode, you'll get an increased LF response in theory as the 15 in the 315 will be handling the LF aswell (there is nothing wrong with this in theory). The only issue is the clarity of the midrange may be affected when the system starts to be pushed. This is true of any box or section of a box that is trying to handle a bandwidth that is wider than normal.

The reason for the red light flickering is PROBABLY due to the 315 trying to reproduce the LF to balance the system out. You may find you're getting the red light flickers on the subs too but can't see them due to their position.

Your seller was correct in saying that its fine for the odd flicker every now and again, it's just saying that that particular component has reached its limit and will go no further, but if its on all the time, you have "not enough rig for the gig" syndrome.

Where are you based, you're welcome to try a pair of 425's with your system if you wish (with an amp as all my TQ boxes are unpowered).

Finally, the difference between the SP and the DP. The SP's are the older versions, only some of the Q light boxes were made in an SP model. They're older style amplifier modules with straight forward old school crossovers. The DP have all singing all dancing digital processing and I believe they all have (perhaps just the larger boxes) Class D amps. ..... Not the manufacturer Class D, that would be a criminal offence.

They DO sound different, neither is better or worse IMO though.

Rob

Rob greatly appreciate your post. I`m based in the north west between manchester and liverpool roughly.

The info you give helps me to understand what`s happening and gives me some ideas for going forward.

If I`m anywhere near your neck of the woods trying out the 425`s would be great thankyou.

My typical gig is a wedding reception with an average of 150-300 people.

As an aside is there a way I can test my system for its output to see if its doing roughly what it should?

Thanks,

Chris

Archived