speaker/pa garage storage

mkfs9

It's basic advice, but putting them in plastic bags is a good idea, preferably with silica gel dessicant included. If the garage is unheated, condensation on metal parts will be a problem in the winter, even if the storage area is dry. Plastic bags will prevent this.

Condensation is going to be the main problem.

A word of caution about speakers and damp/condensed conditions - I have some cabs whose drivers have the rolled foam edge and they 'corroded' and eventually tore, there was evidence of mildue on them. The rest of the cones were fine and I was able to replace the foam surrounds :unsure: 'Normal' speakers without the foam type surround seem to be less vulnerable.

It may be worth installing a dehumidifier to reduce potential problems, or even some kind of garage/greenhouse heater(s).

Although the area may be water tight, cold will be the enemy causing condensation.

• 2 weeks later...
I have some cabs whose drivers have the rolled foam edge and they 'corroded' and eventually tore, there was evidence of mildue on them. The rest of the cones were fine and I was able to replace the foam surrounds :blink:

The deterioration of foam surrounds has nothing to do with storage conditions. All foam surrounds eventually fall apart with age - there's nothing you can do about it except repair the speakers when it happens.

Cheers

James.

Trying to make the speaker cabinets water tight can itself be problematic. Years ago, my old "bin sytem" (think 4560s, angled 2x12 mids etc.) had lids on some mid top boxes and not on others. The covered ones ended up with corroded magnet gaps, the others were fine.

I still have the speaker chassis if anyone fancies reconing some vintage ATC drivers ;-)

For the OP's situation, I'd suggest low level heating may be a good way forward.

Simon

Archived