Design figures for freestanding truss

Shez

(A paper exercise for the mathematicians / structural engineers out there.)

Let us say, for the sake of discussion, that I wanted to build a free standing "n" shaped truss arrangement in a venue with no rigging points. Essentially to work as an advance truss with some lanterns & speakers rigged from the horizontal. Knowing the dimensions of the truss and the weights of what would be rigged on it, I can calculate the height of the centre of mass, the angle it could lean to before falling over and the force required to tip it if pushed from, for example, shoulder height.

Are there any recommended design figures out there that one should work to if designing such a structure? I imagine that it would be the force required to start moving it that would be key? (Yes I'm a maths geek - these things interest me!)

120 views and no replies... Am I asking the wrong question? A too difficult question? A too vague question?

Is it purely down to individual risk assessment? Thinking on a more complex scale, for an outdoor structure, it must be necessary to calculate the wind loadings to determine the maximum wind speeds that a structure could withstand. What I'm asking is (in my mind!) just a simplified version of that. Any thoughts / observations / advice welcome ;)

Archived