Zero 88 Jester: Desk lamp supply?

kennnethwatt

Hi Guys

I understand that the Zero 88 Jester 24/48 has a USB port for saving on to. Would my USB desk lamp work on it? On Vista, the PC never picks up on it and it just draws power, I presume.

Would it cause any damage to plug it in and have a go? The lamp itself looks like a fresnel, with barn doors, with a small LED which would be excellent for low-level lighting for shows.

It's the school's board and it's new, so I don't wanna screw it up. :blink:

Cheers guys,

Kenneth

Yes, this is fine - I believe the USB port can supply 0.5 amps so any USB LED Lamp should be OK.

HTH :blink:

Josh

Cheers. I got a different reply over at Control Booth tho! They said not to. I don't see what harm trying will do.

Do you reckon that anything could happen that would screw up - e.g. 'cause it was only designed for a USB memory stick it will malfunction and wipe all settings off the board?

Thanks again

Kenneth

Oh :blink:

I was told that it was fine by some guys at Stage Electrics when we were hiring a Jester for something... and I'm sure I saw this question on a Zero 88 support forum and one of the guys who works for Z88 said it was fine. I'll try and get a link.

Alternatively, Just email Zero 88,

Josh

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Link to that forum is here

Oh :blink:

I was told that it was fine by some guys at Stage Electrics when we were hiring a Jester for something... and I'm sure I saw this question on a Zero 88 support forum and one of the guys who works for Z88 said it was fine. I'll try and get a link.

Alternatively, Just email Zero 88,

Josh

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Link to that forum is here

Thank's so much ;)

Fingers crossed it won't blow up!!!

USB ports can actually only supply 100mA by default.

Devices can request up to 500mA from the host (in 50mA increments), but they don't automatically get it and are not allowed to assume that they will.

True, though I would be suprised if an LED lamp intended to work from a USB port uses more than 100ma.

Ive got one and it only uses about 50ma.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived