Zarges

Thomas1987

Hi guys,

Our old 12 rung Zarges aluminium A-frame has just bitten the dust, looking to replace it with similar. Its for basic work, focussing, safetys etc. We've got a MEWP for higher work, but the Zarges is just more practical for focussing with gear on stage.

Just wondering, is there anything else on the market with more advantages (weight? Height? Foot-print (getting in between band gear is a nightmare)). Considering a 14 rung zarges A-frame, but realistically the extra height is not necessary.

Trusses are at about 6m.

Any suggestions? Anyone suggest any good companys for replacements?

I can't think of anything better than a Zarges really.

Good flexibility - upright or extended A frame. Pretty light - I can pick up a 14 rung and walk across stage with it. Really stable - I suppose we all trust our lives with Zarges regularly, there are few other ladders I would put my faith in....

...14-rung Zarg is less of a proposition than the 12-rung for a one-person carry as far as quite a few people are concerned.

Agreed. I know a few people that just won't / can't lift a 14 rung on their own, and if you don't need the extra height than why carry around the extra weight?

Gareth (Mk. 2)

...14-rung Zarg is less of a proposition than the 12-rung for a one-person carry as far as quite a few people are concerned.

Agreed. I know a few people that just won't / can't lift a 14 rung on their own, and if you don't need the extra height than why carry around the extra weight?

Gareth (Mk. 2)

I would argue that carrying anything more than an 10 rung on your own in many situations is somewhat dangerous - it's just too long and you're going to wind up hurting someone or damaging something sooner or later... There are good reasons the events companies get annoyed with one person carrying anything over 6' long on their own.

I would argue that carrying anything more than an 10 rung on your own in many situations is somewhat dangerous - it's just too long and you're going to wind up hurting someone or damaging something sooner or later... There are good reasons the events companies get annoyed with one person carrying anything over 6' long on their own.

In many situations I wouldn't disagree with you, but in others (working on an empty stage with a 6m grid focussing a dance rig for example) I personally wouldn't see it as unnecessarily risky with good technique.

Regardless of the "one man lift" question, I would still suggest the extra two rungs of height, weight and cost seem unnecessary.

Gareth.

You can argue that if you like. I won't be paying any attention, though. If I didn't feel comfortable and confident carrying a 12-rung Zarges, I wouldn't do it. But I do. I've been doing it for years, and will carry on doing so.

A 14-rung, on the other hand, is just that bit too long and heavy to be manageable on my own, so I'll engage the assistance of someone else.

Are people using the Zarges Skymaster or the Industrial Skymaster version just out of interest?

I use the Industrial ones mostly, I think the only difference is the locking bars and

the wheels on the top ? From memory there isn't much of a cost difference between

the Industrial Skymaster and the Trade Skymaster ... I'd go with the Industrial one

personally.

If you and any others that use it are happy with what it did - just get another. There aren't really any other designs that work as well and are so versatile. 6m trusses however seem a little out of reach?

You can tell its freshers week! Haha, apologies. Losing my marbles a bit.

Truss trim height is about 4m, a little more practical.

Yes, I'm going to go with a straight replacement - 12 rung zarges skymaster.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Dave

Archived