Hanging Clay Paky Stage Colour 300

rossmck

Anyone got any experience of these fixtures and hanging them on a standard scaff bar?

The mounting points on the fixture are 4 holes, each of which a clamp is attached to - see http://www.whitelight.ltd.uk/uploaded/RG/f..._manual_Rv1.pdf (PDF Manual)

This is ideal for mounting on truss, although for an upcoming show I have been asked to hang them

on a normal scaff bar lighting rig (the bar itself is well within it's SWL with these attached to it)

There doesn't seem to be an approved way of mounting it without either two parallel bars or trussing.

Someone suggested mounting it with just two hook clamps at diagonally opposite corners allowing the

light to sit at an angle (rather than being parallel with the bar) but still balancing the weight... in principle

this seems OK (secured at two points + two safety bonds) but would value a second opinion :blink:

(We don't have the part C61110 that's mentioned in that document - so not using the "quick release clamps"

just normal hook clamps bolted to the unit)

Im slightly confused here, if you look at the diagram, the clamps can be truned to hang on a single bar, any ML can. Page 7 there are 2 clamps, not the 4, but they can be turned to hang in the same configurations.

Jay

Edit: I must appoliagise, I did not read you post correctly, I didnt realise you needed a plate to have 2 clamps. But having the clamps bolted in either coner does not sound unsafe, you are still distributing the weight evenly. But then again, its not in the manual so seek further advice/

There doesn't seem to be an approved way of mounting it without either two parallel bars or trussing.

<snippage>

(We don't have the part C61110 that's mentioned in that document - so not using the "quick release clamps"

just normal hook clamps bolted to the unit)

Look again at the diagram involving the plate & quick release suspension malarky. The normal way to attach to a single bar is to use that and turn the two hook clamps (or whatever) through 90degrees so they'll fit on the same bar.

Someone suggested mounting it with just two hook clamps at diagonally opposite corners allowing the

light to sit at an angle (rather than being parallel with the bar) but still balancing the weight... in principle

this seems OK (secured at two points + two safety bonds) but would value a second opinion :blink:

Doesn't seem like a good idea at all to me. Its contrary to the manufacturer's instructions, so I'm afraid its really *not* OK in principle. Whether you'd get away with it is another matter. Do you feel lucky? ;)

If you need a bodge to use all 4 clamps, I'd suggest using a couple of short bits of tube and a couple of 90degree scaff couplers to create the two parallel bars you need to do it right. (ie: make a "H" with your LX bar as the horizontal).

hth

I've got some Stagelights and there's a couple of ways you can rig these lights (as seen in the diagrams).

With a plate, you can attach omega style clamps to the plate every 45 degrees. You must use two clamps on the plate.

Without the plate you can attach rated hook clamps or doughty clamps straight to the unit via the 4 holes on the edges of the unit's base. The instructions say you must have 4 hooks in this set-up and so this can only be used if you are putting the unit on truss.

SO.... in terms of instructions and safety, you will need to get yourself some plates and quick release clamps for the StageColours

There is one way you could try but in no way am I saying that this is at all safe and practical!!! It would be to use two doughty clamps (at opposing corners) and attach them to the scaff pole and so the unit sits, not face on, but at 45 degrees to the front of the stage. Remember thought, these units are heavy and there will be a good reason why the unit says to uses the 4 hooks and not just 2 when you aren't using a plate :blink:

There is one way you could try but in no way am I saying that this is at all safe and practical!!! It would be to use two doughty clamps (at opposing corners) and attach them to the scaff pole and so the unit sits, not face on, but at 45 degrees to the front of the stage. Remember thought, these units are heavy and there will be a good reason why the unit says to uses the 4 hooks and not just 2 when you aren't using a plate :blink:

That's a far better description of what I was thinking of in my original post! - I've seen them hung this way before. The fixture is 22Kg, and the hook clamps are rated to 40Kg, so my only concern would be what the mounting point on the lantern itself is rated to - the use of the plate and omega clamps obviously distributes the load across all 4 points.

However, and this make that optimal solution a bit trickier, you can no longer buy the plates ;)

How about this....

To use all four hook points, attach two small scaff poles (a few inches more than the length of the unit's base) at right angles with fixed 90 degree doughty clamps, creating -----H----- and then the 4 hooks could be attached to each 'arm' of the H shaped scaffs.

This might work depending on your scaffs SWL/load point distribution. Your unit would hand a few inches lower though.

Similar idea to jamtastics... how about 2 bit of heavy duty unistrut, bolted to 2 holes each in the fixture, then clamps from the middle of each piece. Making sure to use high tensile bolts, locking nuts and decent washers, etc. You could spray the unistrut black, would look fine and would cost pennies!

For the benefit of anyone else who finds this thread.

I contacted Clay Paky directly and they were very helpful - they stated that although it "should be hung by [its] own proper fast fit plate" that "If you don't use such mentioned plate, clamps in two diagonally opposite corners at 45 degree angle will hold the unit"

Therefore they will be hung using two Doughty clamps (both rated to 250Kg) with an appropriate safety bond as this, although not in the printed manufacturer's instructions, is acceptable in the words of the manufacturer as I'd expected it should be... the only downside will be from a plotting point of view that "home" will never be in the "right" place :unsure:

Archived