Media DI boxes?

Simon Lewis

I need a couple of low cost 'media DIs' for an install - to allow them to plug laptops etc. into the mono PA system. Input can be on 1/4" jack or phono, but needs to offer "stereo input" (i.e. combines left and right signals).

I'm aware of the Radial / Whirlwind / Palmer type devices, but at £125+ they're too pricey for the application. Are there any lower cost commercial alternatives?

If there's nothing commercially available, I'm tempted to take a Behringer DI400P, and put a 4k7 resistor in series with the two jack socket 'tip' connections. I know that many consumer devices will have build out resistors, but it'd be nice to do this properly!

Simon

I've got a couple of IMQ passive DIs in my venue that have two parallel 1/4" jack inputs on one end, and a single XLR on the other. I often use them to "mono up" a stereo input to save channels if it's tight at FOH. I'm afraid I'm on a day off (a what? you say) so can't give you model numbers, but being IMQ they should be cheapies. Also means that phantom isn't an issue if it's a cheap mixer.

EDIT: to change it from IMG to IMQ and to add model number: DIB-100

We have two options that may be worth a look

The ART box looks good - and I may buy a few for my own purposes, but I'm really trying to keep this simple and free of options that they can get wrong. Think "old people in a church who call me every few weeks because "the sound system doesn't work"". Invariably, they've done something like turn the master volume off whilst dusting the amp!

The Horizon unit could be useful - just stick it on a Clavinova and forget it... but they may need to plug in a laptop too and it may confuse them ;-)

I've got a couple of IMG DIB100 passive DIs in my venue that have two parallel 1/4" jack inputs on one end, and a single XLR on the other.

I've used those too - they double up as wheel chocks for Boeing 787s! The idea is the same as the Behringer... use a basic, simple DI but put a mix resistor on each jack, rather than relying on the device being a consumer one and behaving well when the outputs are summed. Also, the passive Behringer is cheaper than either CPC offering!

Simon

Hi Simon

Not sure if its any use but if its only for laptops I have finally ditched the mini jack cable in favor of these from CPC

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/av17492/interface...-XLR/dp/AV17492

They are on XLR and also work as standard on AISO and Core audio so can be picked up very quickly on any old laptop or mac.

A useful addition to a tool box and now go out with our laptops.

Chris

I've got a couple of IMG DIB100 passive DIs in my venue that have two parallel 1/4" jack inputs on one end, and a single XLR on the other.

I've used those too - they double up as wheel chocks for Boeing 787s!

I use them for "chibbing" punters who chuck pints at the stage. :-)

An AKG C1000 does the same thing and makes a better sound than if used on stage anyway.

I need a couple of low cost 'media DIs' for an install - to allow them to plug laptops etc. into the mono PA system. Input can be on 1/4" jack or phono, but needs to offer "stereo input" (i.e. combines left and right signals).

I'm aware of the Radial / Whirlwind / Palmer type devices, but at £125+ they're too pricey for the application. Are there any lower cost commercial alternatives?

If there's nothing commercially available, I'm tempted to take a Behringer DI400P, and put a 4k7 resistor in series with the two jack socket 'tip' connections. I know that many consumer devices will have build out resistors, but it'd be nice to do this properly!

Simon

You most likely already know about these but this is what I use, one of the switches mono's up and sends from the left ch. Not the cheapest but nowhere near £125 (about 60 I think ??)

http://www.interspaceind.com/products/product.php?id=7

Regards

Archived