I need to hire stick/clip on tranducer mics for strings

johnjpinner

Hi there,

Im doing a gig with a fairly loud band who will have a string quartet playing alongside them. I've done this same setup before using DPA4060's on string mounts, but due to the close proximity of FOH speakers (less than 2 meters above, and only a couple of feet infront of the 3rd violin) low end feedback was a real issue, so despite the not ideal sound quality from bug mics, they are my best option.

Does anyone know of a company in london who hire these ?

Thanks for any help

John Pinner

Have you seen the new dpa 4099? they're designed for this type of situation - or at least thats how I saw them being used, in a high quality audio but noisy stage and close proximity PA situation.

Sorry it doesn't answer your actual question!

When I've need to close mic, I've never liked the sound of clip-ons. The DPAs I've seen were mounted under the strings, behind the bridge, facing the bridge. I've used other micro mics similarly with much better results than when they were clipped on. I wrapped them in over-sized windscreens and tucked them under the bridges of the instruments.

Have you seen the new dpa 4099? they're designed for this type of situation - or at least thats how I saw them being used, in a high quality audio but noisy stage and close proximity PA situation.

Sorry it doesn't answer your actual question!

Any thoughts on the DPA 4088 cardioid, thats what one company suggested as an option? has anyone used these for strings ?

ill look into the 4099 though, thanks for that pal.

John

when I was running my rental comany, I thought it would be a good idea to use some transducer pick ups on a violin, although the sound was not particually good, it did give me enough level to work with. however, when I took it off the violin, it pulled of the lacquer as well! I had a very upset muso on my hands and it went on for months with compensation claims. stick to the clip on mic if you can. as a simple thing, thy a de-cappo on a lapel clip attached to the bridge.

• 2 months later...

I'm am a sound man and violinist which makes many band which have violins in very happy! So have a few things to say about fiddles and solutions for picking them up.

I have a DPA 4061, which I use on my fiddle, which provides the best string sound I can hope for, true with noisy stages you can always get more volume out of a pickup but the quality of hearing the violin, a mic always gives the best response.

One of the bands I engineer wanted to invest into pickups for there fiddles but didnt have the spare £300 each lying around!! So what I suggested was to get non-dpa lavalier mics, we got a sony one from ebay (bargain) and a AKG C 417 PP, which both terminate with XLR's. Also we got the DPA string adapter (http://www.dv247.com/microphones/dpa-mhs6001-microphone-holder-for-strings--45696) to hang the mics under the strings (a little lx tape is required as the cable of the AKG is thinker than the DPA), and so far 2 years later.... they are still very happy with the results. Feedback is surprisingly not too bad as the mic is very close to the source and predominately not pointing at the monitors! For a £80 solution it works well. Even on a loud stage it works, but obviously you do get spill! Though when they were relitivly new, I did get panic phone calls, these mics aren working.... but when speaking with soundman at the venue they were playing at, who wanted to give up and used 58's, and asked have you switched on phantom??

Hope this helps one out!

Peter

AKG C411 isn't bad as a stick-on transducer, shouldn't take varnish off as it attaches with a blu-tack type adhesive. Schertlers are expensive, and have a very dark sound. I've used them on sitar: very woody, no overtones or sympathetic strings, whereas the C411 gives a reasonable sound on sitar, sarangi. AT835 good: cardioid, you have to clip them onto the tailpiece and bend them around onto the bridge.

Archived