Sine Wave Dimmers

vl nick

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone knows of where to hire Sine Wave Dimmers? I have tried the main theatre hire companies. If anyone know any companies who keep these in the hire stock please let me know.

Nick

Guest lightnix

Probably because they're quieter?

Maybe a call to manufacturers (e.g. ETC) will reveal who has them for hire - if anyone.

There's an interesting article from 2004 on sine wave dimmers, which begins with a prediction that the SCR dimmer's days are numbered. I can only assume, that the reason this prophecy remains unfulfilled is... cost. Nobody wants to pay the extra for sine wave dimmers, when old fashioned SCRs will do "just as well", so they remain unpurchased in any significant numbers.

Or am I wrong?

I agree with both sentiments there, Nick.

There can't be THAT many applications where there's a major necessity for quiet dimmers over standard SCRs...

Doesn't mean that the OP isn't in that minority though.

:)

Guest lightnix
There can't be THAT many applications where there's a major necessity for quiet dimmers over standard SCRs...

Silencing whinging sound engineers, is about the only one I can think of :)

I agree with both sentiments there, Nick.

Doesn't mean that the OP isn't in that minority though.

:)

I used to work for a company that had sinewave dimmers as part of their range, they were bigger, more complex and more expensive than anything else in our range and no-one was interested! Another manufacturer likened it "to a party to which everyone was invited and no-one turned up", we also had an issue with the channels failing "spectacularly"

That said, it's a tempting technology and if someone can figure a way to do it at a comparable price to conventional dimmer I think there would defiantly be a market for them

Archived