learning about health and safety

heh, before I start I'm sorry if this should go into the safety section, but as a student and not knowing what safety issues fall under what catagory, could someone please list what would be relevant, I understand that I'll probably learn this next year but I'd rather get a head start. :unsure:

thanks

Chris Hoyle

in theatre different jobs, there are different health and safety issues, for example, working up a tower covered by 'Working at Heights' I was wondering where you could get infomation of all this from, if that makes more sense, Sorry to confuse

I see what you're driving at. This is is often a big problem for people trying to start out. In fact, most people get confused. There are loads of different bodies to stick their oars in. You need to make sure you understand the different legislation. To keep this simple(ish) don't forget legislation means law - breaking these regs means everyone will dump on you as hard as they can - serious stuff - hence why some people on the blue room get very heated about safety. Other stuff is really recommendations, suggestions, good practice etc. None of this is law. BUT, if things go wrong, ignoring these things could be seen as incompetence and things get tough again.

The things I think you need to research are these:

The Health and Safety at Work Act (1974)

Electricty at Work Regulations (1989)

provision and use of work equipment regulations (PUWER) (1998)

Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment regulations (LOLER) (1998)

getting to grips with this lot will take a fair while - and when you find the actual text, understanding it is damn hard too - very often you have to try to work out for yourself what they are really saying. That's why everyone has their own version of the law, and I guess, why big firms spend fortunes on legal advice.

This is yet another reason why things said on the BR forum need experience to work out if they're actualy right or not.

So - best advice so far? do a google and look for the government web site that has info on the above stuff and read through it. I reckon you'll then have a million questions. I bet your teacher, unless you're very lucky to have an industry experienced one, will know bugger all about any of it! Your course may well just say something like "students will be aware of health and safety issues" and that's it!!!

thanks alot, exactly what I was looking for

I bet your teacher, unless you're very lucky to have an industry experienced one, will know bugger all about any of it! Your course may well just say something like "students will be aware of health and safety issues" and that's it!!!

exactly why I'm trying to find out myself, I know it's gonna be hard trying to work it out for myself, but it's something I'm prepared to give a hell of alot of time up for.

thanks again

Chris H

Probably the two most useful sites are...

Health and Safety Executive

HMSO Legislation online

The ones Paul suggested are a good starting point BUT something like the Health and Safety at Work Act doesn't say anything about what you should do. It's a piece of enabling legislation which allows the relevant Secretary of State to lay before Parliament Regulations which then become part of the law of the land. There are currently about 8 relevant Regulations which MUST be followed in order to comply with the HSWA.

OK, to follow this one up...

As well as Chris's question here, I was asked at the weekend if I knew of an online resource to make it easy to find all the relevant bits of H&S 'law'. I don't so I've started my own.

At the mo' it's got the basic HSWA and some associated regulations on it. Over the next few days I'll add the links to the HSE guidance notes and ACOPs as I verify them.

It can be found here...Brian's list of H&S law.

Archived