2 & 4 channel power amplifiers

Bothy Cat

Hi, our 6 piece band, playing 200 capacity venues/function rooms, up to 600 capacity marquees/large halls currently have a FOH system consisting of a Martin Audio Wavefront WS2A and W3P each side, powered by a Crown Macrotech MA3600VZ and a Crown Pulse 1100 respectively. Our Monitor system is currently 4 x Turbosound TXD12M monitors (300w) on a 2 way mix powered by another Crown 'Pulse' 2 x 1100 amplifier.

We are thinking about an upgrade to both of the Pulses, was was thinking about going for a used Camco Vortex 4 to power the W3P's and a used Camco Vortex Quadro 3 (which will get us from a 2 way monitor mix to a 4 way monitor mix) to power the monitors.

We want the replacements to still be no more than 2U and lightweight, so the Camco's fits the bill, and they are obviously great quality amps and and as so fairly pricey.

Just before we jump in here, is there any thoughts about any suitable altnernatives? We are happy to go used to keep the price down, but would not be wanting to pay more than about £2Kish all in, and also want to go 4 channel for the monitor mix this time.

Any advice gratefully received!

cheers

Mike

You have a heavy amp in the case, if it's on wheels, you may aswell put another one in, I'd really consider another 3600VZ for the tops. The Internal network in the W3P is very good but a bit inefficient so you can't skimp on the amps to run them properly. I'd only consider a light weight amp if you changed them ALL.

As for monitors, 4 channel amps are great due to their space saving abilities however, remember not to put all your eggs in one basket. A cheap, lightweight spare amp (2 or 4 channels) is a life saver.

Hi Rob thanks very much for that response. The hope was to try and if anything reduce weight as although the amps are in an 8u rack with control unit/patch board, we still find a fair bit of lifting in and out of van/up and down stairs/stages etc so its already about as heavy as we would want, but I know what you mean about getting better quality for the W3P's.

Changing all 3 may well be a option (albeit perhaps not immediate). If we did decide to go down this route, what would you recommend to include a change of the 3600vz at a budget of circa £1K per amp used more or less?

cheers

mike

FFA (Full Fat Audio) would be worth a look as an alternative, they do 2 and 4 channel amps.

Unfortunately their site is somewhat lacking... http://www.fullfataudio.com

There is more on their Facebook, but not much: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Full-Fat-Audio/53658754318

Old BR: http://www.blue-room.org.uk/lofiversion/in...php/t19808.html

QSC CX404 but may be a bit underpowered at 400W/4ohm per channnel, also powersoft do 4 channel amps, as do Thomann

Cheers, will have a look at these too for the monitors. What about our 2 FOH amps (another Crown pulse 1100 and a Macro- tech 3600 VZ)? Rob suggested replacing the Pulse with another Macro-tech 3600 VZ , or else change both for 2 x lightweight amps.

So I suppose in summary, the FOH option would be either 2 x Macro-Tech 3600 totalling 50kg, or say 2 x Lab Gruppen FP3400 totalling 20kg - the weight saving is pretty important for us, but for somebody who wont get a chance to compare them before we buy, any opinions other than weight/price (I know the LG's will be a bit dearer).

cheers

Mike

If you like the fp3400, look for some second hand lab2002 or lab2000c - usually come up at 500 - 700 each. whilst older amps, have them serviced when you buy them, and they will give you years of faultless service. The 2002 is essentially identical to the 3400 in performance terms.

Once again we seem to (with the greatest of respect to all who have given their input) dropped into the age old "list the piece of gear" routine that is all too common.

We've all used things we've liked, things we've disliked and there really are a massive number of amps on the market that will do the job, and probably a bigger list of them that won't.

One persons favourite amp will be hated with passion by someone else.

I use the 3600VZ to power the W3P's and I've been more than happy, I do however use the 5000VZ to power the WS2As. It's not my system though I use it frequently. Yes it's a heavy amp rack, but one I've carried up and down stairs on my own before so all is not lost providing everyone mucks in.

You could look at the XTI range if you wanted lightweight. You could discard the processing too if this was the case (although I'd be half tempted to just leave it in the rack incase).

Archived