Electrical Qualifications

I didn't get the results to accept an offer on the CSSD production lx course this year. They said if I gain experience they will reconsider and ignore the Alevels that I didn't get.

I have a job at a local theatre, as well as voluntary work in larger venues. I am also doing freelance events with my own gear.

Are there any specific short course (a week or two) electrical qualification that would benefit me in my application, or in my freelance work that I can look at?

I live in the Lincoln area so I have been to speak with the collage who have said they will consider me for doing some of the modules on a BTEC LX course. They also offer around 14 electrical courses with more at other local collages (Nottingham, Newark etc).

Cheers

The C&G 2330 (Electrical Installation) which is two parts will take at least two years and is comprehensive. The C&G 2381 (17th Edition) will teach you about the regulations, and how to read the regulations, only. C&G 2391 (Inspection and test) may be tricky to do as a stand alone course, but may be do-able in six weeks or so but is very useful especially in the temporary power sector. It may not be cheap though.

C&G 2377-002 (Portable Appliance Test) is usually a one day course and is always helpful.

If it were me, I would get my head down at a venue or two, and maybe look to get out on (a short) tour.

Qualifications are no match for experience for the vast majority of this industry, although the contacts that you will get from college can also be invaluable.

At the end of the day its about hard graft.

You will almost certainly need 2382 before you can do 2391. There's also a 2392 which is a simpler version of 2391.

2382 is open-book multi-choice and is pretty easy if you have a basic understanding of the 17th ed. 2391 is far more challenging and I think something like half the people who take it fail.

But electrical installation qualifications have little relevance to lighting design and won't open many doors in this business. As Jonathan said, experience is far more important.

I'd discuss things with CSSD in a bit more detail to find out what they'd want. If the C&G quals would help you get in, then they might be worthwhile, but in your position I'd want to be sure before I spent the money.

Have you thought about resitting your A levels whilst working part-time? Or were your results so bad that you just want to move on...

I'd discuss things with CSSD in a bit more detail to find out what they'd want. If the C&G quals would help you get in, then they might be worthwhile, but in your position I'd want to be sure before I spent the money.

Have you thought about resitting your A levels whilst working part-time? Or were your results so bad that you just want to move on...

CSSD said not to bother resitting, and this suits as I don't want to. They are looking for experience and a good portfolio for next year.

I will try to find out if they would help getting in, but I was also looking at them to help with freelance work, making sure I was safe to sort out equipment and work in other venues.

from my interview with CSSD (another failure <_< ) the reaction I got was not lack of experience as in qualifications, but lack of experience working in theatre. (I later realised that it wasnt really the course for me as I'm less into straight theatre and prefer live music ect.)

what I'm trying to say is, by all means get these qualifications, and they may help, but make sure you get as much experience working backstage, in as many places, on as many styles as you can!

we do the 2382 and 2391 at my college, we wont let any students on the 2391 course who are not electrians and you must have the 17th regs as the awarding body want you to already be an electrician before you can do 2391, Be careful if you get a place as the 2391 has a low pass rate as its bloody hard, think about it before you shell out lots of money on a course you may not be able to pass.I would be wary of companies taking your money when they know you might struggle, I have experienced electricians of 20 yrs who cant pass it for love nor money,

I have passed it, but boy did my head hurt afterwards.

if you want further info see the city and guilds website for entry requirements on 2391

from my interview with CSSD (another failure :) ) the reaction I got was not lack of experience as in qualifications, but lack of experience working in theatre. (I later realised that it wasnt really the course for me as I'm less into straight theatre and prefer live music ect.)

what I'm trying to say is, by all means get these qualifications, and they may help, but make sure you get as much experience working backstage, in as many places, on as many styles as you can!

I got an offer this year but failed my a levels, my teachers always told me off for completeing my homework backstage in the dark, :P ironically it was the work in the theatre that both got me and lost me the place.

As stated above, 2391 is intended for experienced electricians carrying out PIRs - test and inspect of someone else's installation, often undocumented, is much harder that installing from new where you have full control. 2392 is the one aimed at inspection and testing of new installations. Cost is about £1000+VAT from the IET which includes the on-line and practical assessments.

As stated above, 2391 is intended for experienced electricians carrying out PIRs - test and inspect of someone else's installation, often undocumented, is much harder that installing from new where you have full control. 2392 is the one aimed at inspection and testing of new installations. Cost is about £1000+VAT from the IET which includes the on-line and practical assessments.

I was looking into some shorter courses. My long term aim is to settle down as a lighting tech in a small theatre, so anything that will help me to cover electrical tasks seeing as the watch-word today seems to be "multi-skilled"

Cheers

I was looking into some shorter courses. My long term aim is to settle down as a lighting tech in a small theatre, so anything that will help me to cover electrical tasks seeing as the watch-word today seems to be "multi-skilled"

Cheers

IET do a 1 day introduction to I & T course - but no formal qualification at the end of it. There's one in London early October:

http://www.theiet.org/events/courses/2009/...f-install-1.cfm

Ouch! That IET course is very expensive for what it covers - I can't see them getting many takers.

Generally theatres wouldn't expect their techs to be able to do inspection and testing of fixed installs, so going in that direction won't really help you IMO, although as previously stated some of the principles are relevant to temporary power. Having 2382 would demonstrate a basic knowledge of the wiring regs (but it's theory and if you've no idea how it relates to the real world then it's pretty useless), and 2377 for PAT testing is obviously something that would be of interest (but I'd prefer someone with experience and no qual over someone with a qual and no experience).

Ouch! That IET course is very expensive for what it covers - I can't see them getting many takers.

It ..."assumes a basic understanding of BS 7671 technical requirements". So the attendee knows 7671 but has never measured a circuit... something of a niche market then?!

• 1 month later...

As an electrician myself I would recommend that in your position looking to be involved with only theatrical electrics that the PAT testing course C&G 2377 may well be a plus point for you, especially if you end up working in a venue that doesn't have a PAT test person in house.

The 2382 !7th edition course won't help you much as it's all theory and there is no specific chapter in the 17th for stage electrics, so the bits you would be interested in are muddled up with all sorts of topics that won't effect you, also having done the 17th myself I think it would be quite hard for a non-electrician to do, but it is short at only 3 days.

Some training firms offer the full two year C&G course in a week, not sure how good that would be! you could do the course content in that time but it is usual to go to college 1 day a week and work the other 4 with a qualified spark for 2 years.

My business partner teaches 2391 and the national pass rate is only 15%!!!!, very, very few electricians hold this certificate but few would really need to.

There are also Part P courses for people carrying out small ammounts of electrical work in a domestic setting, these are short courses, but not of much use to you as any work you would undertake classes as commercial.

So if I were you I'd get on a PAT course.

Very best wishes

Archived