Martin Audio

rusty999

Anyone here tried fitting wheels/castors on the Martin Audio S18 Bins

If so, is it a difficult task?

I have recently developed a back problem and will have to do anything I can to prevent further damage so this is one option.

I presume lifting out the speaker is the first task but is there plenty of cable inside to play with or is it tight or perhaps I can remove the speaker completely when carrying out the fitting/drilling etc

I dont want to end up soldering the ends back on or are they clip-on?

Any info greatly appreciated

Rusty

Hi,

It's easiest to do the prep part with the box on its back.

Grille removal (allow it to bow in the middle slightly to fit through the gap. If your grille is already bent (even if only slightly) you'll have a nightmare of a job and may end up buying a new one.

Remove the ...8 hex bolts.

Lift the speaker out, a pair of flat bladed screw drivers to get under the surround helps here. Disconnect the driver using the spring clips. Some early models didn't have coloured wiring, so mark + and - if necessary.

move the acoustic foam out of the way (out of the box if you can,

then flip the box onto its bottom. measure the wheels and drill suitable holes. Allow enough room for the bottom wheels to hang down and still spin (this will make tipping the box easier as it will rest on the box corner before the box has a roll around randomly.

place suitable T nuts on the backs of the holes, screw in bolts (without the wheels) to pull them into place. take them out again, put the wheels on, make sure you use wheels with BRAKES on this sub as they're a bit rattly and this can make the wheels rattle.

replace the foam, paint the front of the box as it saves taking the grille off when you next come to paint them, connect and replace the driver, do opposite bolts not adjacent ones. tip the speaker up and plug it in and test it. Give it a bit of fist, move it around a bit. THEN tighten the bolts a bit more, put the grille on and paint the rest of the box, then move on and do the next box whilst that one dries.

It's also amazing what a piece of 3/4" ply and some bits of 2"x1" blocks of wood and 4 wheels can achieve to make a wheel board for a pair of top boxes.

Hi,

It's easiest to do the prep part with the box on its back.

Grille removal (allow it to bow in the middle slightly to fit through the gap. If your grille is already bent (even if only slightly) you'll have a nightmare of a job and may end up buying a new one.

Remove the ...8 hex bolts.

Lift the speaker out, a pair of flat bladed screw drivers to get under the surround helps here. Disconnect the driver using the spring clips. Some early models didn't have coloured wiring, so mark + and - if necessary.

move the acoustic foam out of the way (out of the box if you can,

then flip the box onto its bottom. measure the wheels and drill suitable holes. Allow enough room for the bottom wheels to hang down and still spin (this will make tipping the box easier as it will rest on the box corner before the box has a roll around randomly.

place suitable T nuts on the backs of the holes, screw in bolts (without the wheels) to pull them into place. take them out again, put the wheels on, make sure you use wheels with BRAKES on this sub as they're a bit rattly and this can make the wheels rattle.

replace the foam, paint the front of the box as it saves taking the grille off when you next come to paint them, connect and replace the driver, do opposite bolts not adjacent ones. tip the speaker up and plug it in and test it. Give it a bit of fist, move it around a bit. THEN tighten the bolts a bit more, put the grille on and paint the rest of the box, then move on and do the next box whilst that one dries.

It's also amazing what a piece of 3/4" ply and some bits of 2"x1" blocks of wood and 4 wheels can achieve to make a wheel board for a pair of top boxes.

What can I say--excellent answer as usual from Rob Beech

Thank you Sir!!!

Looking forward to carrying out the work now

Regards

Rusty

Archived