smoke machine that can produce haze??

godd2

hello all,

I would like to use haze for our first production but the cost of that machine is prohibitive. so I have read a few times that some smoke machines with the right solution can produce a haze like medium that actually stays in the air for like 15 minutes so that would actually be good for me.

can anyone suggest a cheapish smoke machine that would do this and the type of solution I would need.

thank you

hello all,

I would like to use haze for our first production but the cost of that machine is prohibitive. so I have read a few times that some smoke machines with the right solution can produce a haze like medium that actually stays in the air for like 15 minutes so that would actually be good for me.

can anyone suggest a cheapish smoke machine that would do this and the type of solution I would need.

thank you

Define cheap!...

Personally, I'd recommend the Unique units... fairly nice haze and surprisingly effective as foggers too. However, not cheap to purchase - £800ish. Maybe renting would be something to consider, as its probably not something that you would use all of the time. Try your local companys.

Otherwise, its not exactly the same, but depending on how "hazey" you need to effect to be, a cheap fogger (£30 or so from Maplins), pushed through several fans?

Edit: Just noticed you're in the USA, so doubt you have access to Maplins! But many electronics shops seem to stock them these days, I'm sure its the same over the pond!

Water/glycol fluids and smoke production from them are essentially all the same. The concentration of the fluid defines density but particle size is what determines hang time and this doesn't change unless you use a different type of production (ie. mineral oil).

The hang time with water based machines will depend much more on ventilation and air circulation. Small bursts from a basic smoke machine with fan as suggested above will work fine.

Alternatively I would also recommend the Look Solution Unique machines. You can get them much cheaper than £800 in the UK, but that's largely meaningless for you.

Water/glycol fluids and smoke production from them are essentially all the same. The concentration of the fluid defines density but particle size is what determines hang time and this doesn't change unless you use a different type of production (ie. mineral oil).

The hang time with water based machines will depend much more on ventilation and air circulation. Small bursts from a basic smoke machine with fan as suggested above will work fine.

Alternatively I would also recommend the Look Solution Unique machines. You can get them much cheaper than £800 in the UK, but that's largely meaningless for you.

I can buy these here....do they work? from what I have read they dont seem to work like a traditional fogger with a heating unit is this correct? I really dont need much haze in the air and I can add to it periodically very easily. the antari is in my price range very nicely but I dont want to get it if it doesnt work. does it have a white fog that comes out of it or is it truely a constant "haze" like output?

The Unique's have a heating element just like all machines that work with water/glycol (not counting the near mythical transducer types...)

I have used both mk1 and mk2 machines in small and large venues. They produce good consistent output variable from very light to dense fog and can do this continuously until the fluid runs out. It appears the cheaper units are not so good at constant output, but this may be just for the higher density. One of the things I particularly like is the fast warm-up time, typically less than 1min where most units are 5-8min.

The 310 Antari we had never really did really clean haze, always a bit smokey - however, loaning it to the DJ in the bar who filled it with smoke fluid (the correct one) totally wrecked it for haze. We tried cleaning, dismantling and cleaning properly, but after being used for smoke meant it never did proper haze again. We gave it to the DJ.

Archived