JTS microboom - anyone used one?

cedd

Hi all

I'm in need of a couple of low profile mics to add to the stock.

Uses will be pretty varied - spoken word at a lectern, panel/judges mic for competitions, low profile sung vocal mic for concerts...... the list goes on.

Of particular interest to me was this product from JTS

http://www.studiospares.com/JTS-CARBON-MICROBOOM/invt/437990

Not least because it comes with 3 interchangeable capsules which should give scope for all the different situations I see the mic being used in.

I do have a set of 3 AKG CK33 capsules, currently used with the HM1000 hanging modules. I know AKG make a long boom for these for a bit more money than the JTS mic, but you seem to get an awful lot more for your money with the JTS product. I know the AKG is a higher end piece of kit, but I'm not sure if in my applications, it will really matter, plus if I commit a CK33 to boom mic duties, I loose a hanging mic, and I'm stuck with the hypercardioid pattern.

I need something more suited for spoken vocals than my current stock of SM58's!

Has anybody out there used these and got any thoughts?

Studiospares have been out of stock for a long time, anybody know any other reliable (and cheap!) sellers?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

these are great mics, when they are in stock- if studiospares aint got them then there out of stock in the UK-

the only issue with these is that there has to be a mod to the capsule end if you get one out the box that dont work- just need to insert a washer to make ground with the capsule then all is ok-

the stand it comes with looks a bit vrappy, but buy a small table top stand from CPC or something and you have yourself a great performing and looking mic

good luck

dan

Not the Microboom, but I installed a JTS goosneck based on the same capsules last week at a church and it seems to be going well- sounds clean. Have installed the cardoid head. Only thing I dislike about the gooseneck I have (and this may not apply to the Microboom- I couldn't find any online pics) is the red LED around the head of the mic to indicate it's powered...

Great stuff, I thought that thread had gone un-noticed! Once again the Blue Room comes up trumps.

Certainly for my requirements, it seems like a great little product. I've seen similair used in some prety large scale shows (Les Mis at the Albert Hall is the main one). I guess in those instances, it was the AKG units that got used. I was particularly impressed that it was possible to get an unobtrusive micing technque, without the use of wireless.

I hadn't thought abut asking for reviews on differnt products with the same capsules, cheers David.

JTS imports to the UK always seem to be a bit up and down, I guess a container full will arrive at once, get distributed and then get re-ordered once stocks are gone. I guess lead times can be pretty high.

Archived