Free standing truss fame

tcosy_uk

Hello, can I pick your brains about making a free standing frame for projection to happen on, its for outdoor use about 6m x 4m ideally a gauze but anything will do. Guess scaff and more likely truss, but not sure... Just trying to work out the cheapest and safest method of making a large projection screen really. Any ideas greatfully recieved. (with hiring in mind, will buy if feasable!)

Ta Charlie

Two thoughts:

1) Building it's possible- speak to the likes of Unusual, or Star etc, as these people can make the correct calculations etc to ensure that they build something that's going to stay up in (possible) strong winds. It will be the wind loading that will be the biggest issue on this, as you are creating quite a big sail. You may also find that there are people locally to you that have the truss and ability to create the required structure.

2) The technicalities of outdoor projection.... To achieve a good image outdoors can be hard, especially if it's during day light hours. Once the sun has gone to bed, then things become a lot easier as there is simply a lot less ambient light about. If it is during day time, then I'd strongly suggest looking at going down the LED screen route as mentioned above.

Feel free to PM if you need more help with either aspect.

Pete.

It would be useful to know a bit more about what you're trying to achieve. Certainly building a truss structure and hanging canvas or some other screen material on it might be a solution - with the virtue of allowing you to specify the size you want for a stage design point of view, though will be a lot more work than simply hiring a large fastfold screen - which will come in standard 4:3 or 16:9 sizes and will be of limited size (12' or 3.6m wide being considered large). If you are 'doing it yourself' the choice of screen material will also be important in relation to your budget, method of projection etc.

Is the size of the screen specific to a larger design?

Does the screen have to be suspended above the ground? By how much?

Is the show during the day or night?

Are you back or front projecting?

How much have you got to spend...?

Gareth.

A customer of mine recently did this...

http://www.phonic.fm/2009/07/23/big-screen-in-the-park/

I'm not sure what your wanting to use a big outdoor screen for, however this worked perfectly and it was much bigger that 6m wide.

Basically used scaffold ladder truss, and a lot of scaffolding. He already had the screen, (which I believe was a proper cinema projector screen).

He has his own custom made cinema projection trailer as well!

I would be really careful when doing this through! I mean the slightest gust of wind can cause major problems. Like pete said, I would call some one like Unusual Rigging or UK rigging, or speak to a professional AV Hire company.

Chris

Hello, can I pick your brains about making a free standing frame for projection to happen on, its for outdoor use about 6m x 4m ideally a gauze but anything will do. Guess scaff and more likely truss, but not sure... Just trying to work out the cheapest and safest method of making a large projection screen really. Any ideas greatfully recieved. (with hiring in mind, will buy if feasable!)

Ta Charlie

Pm Sent

I am just working out my options at the moment really with regards to feasibility. The company I am working for are perhaps a little over ambitious (as always) about what can be acheived with a small budget. The event is happening outside at night, in October, if could be either front or back projected dependant on which solution I go for, as it is in a park and there is space for choice. This is the very beginning of the project and I'm scouting out my options, I would guess that I a LED screen with cost too much for their budget. I was after a focal point where animations can be displayed. Think I may look in to smalled more textured screens with thin fabric that shine through each other in a line... Was just after a loose idea of money, as the benifit with a truss like frame is that I could hang my lights on them also out of the publics way (as it is a outdoor public installation in a park)

I like this kind of idea. I've done it with a square of astralite. The only snags are fixing the screen to it - however those neat little two part plastic wedge clips and bungy cords work really well. The only real factor is that you're making a damn great sail - but as I made mine out of the truss I had available, I simply extended front and back with T pieces, added a 2m section fore and aft and weighed the entire thing down with sandbags at the rear, and clamped it to the steeldeck legs at the front. Looked fine, and was easily rigid enough. Careful lighting and a half-decent projector was quite enough. Hopeless in daylight, but great in show light.

The event is happening outside at night, in October, if could be either front or back projected dependant on which solution I go for, as it is in a park and there is space for choice.

The timing is good news as far as ambient light goes anyway. :)

If you're looking for a sharp image, front projection will be more forgiving, since almost anything flattish and more or less matt white will work.

It also means that there can be supporting structure *behind* your screen rather than just around it - that would make it more practical to use scaffolding, since you could reduce the span by having intermediate uprights. It also means you could do something as simple as projecting onto the side of a truck! (Or a relatively flimsy wooden framed flat strapped to the side of a truck).

I may look in to smalled more textured screens with thin fabric that shine through each other in a line...

That sounds interesting - but I imagine you'd have a lot of experimentation to do before you get it right.

If the screen gets smaller, again, scaffolding starts to look more practical.

What I have in mind when I say 'scaffolding' is the kind of thing often used for signage at festivals - a simple scaff goalpost with an additional horizontal bar to frame a banner/sign/whatever. Each upright is stabilised with a diagonal (like a K-brace). Where its possible to drive a stake into the ground they don't generally require ballast - putlogs are driven into the ground and swivel clamps used to secure the vertical and diagonal tubes to them. It'd be entirely feasible to extend the horizontal tubes to give you a few short cantilevered bits to rig a light on. (As long as you're not talking about something crazy heavy.)

hth

if animation u want use colourweb - cheap and is like cargo net so wind shear is alot less than using a solid projection surface. Also waterproof and ways sod all could hang off a single secured scaff tube. If you need a rigger, scaff team, scaff by the truck load it will cost you big bucks.

Phone Ian Livie

Ianlivie.com for a price

Hey,

A few months ago, we did a oudoor cinema thing for kids. Hope this info is handy.

We had two trusss uprights. However, we had to dig a large hole in the sand(about 1/3rds the height of the truss) and about half a metre below ground level, we had two scaff bars (fairly long - abt 2/3 metres)going through the truss in the form of an X. we then covered all of this back up with sand(it was on the beach) Our screen was a standard 16*12 on its frame(fast fold), held to the truss with bungees(the wind factor) on the sides and saftied to the scaff bar on top, that connected the 2 uprights. we also had speakers hanging off the uprights on scaff and 2 bars of 6 par 56s each.

I'd be happy to send u images, if you'd like.

Cheers

Zendy

Archived