Spotty Pink Projector screen

david.elsbury

Hi all

I'm doing a sound upgrade/install at a church and as part of the install have installed two new TFT "confidence monitors" and a 4 way VGA splitter into the system, to augment the existing projector and long VGA cable.

I had a call this morning to say that yesterday they powered up as ususal and found pink spots on the image of the projector, but not on the TFT screens.

http://i31.tinypic.com/xopkkx.jpg

They tried removing the VGA cable to the projector from the splitter and plugging it in straight to the laptop but apparantly the spots remained.

My understanding is that this is possibly caused by dust, but it's awfully coincidental for it to have happened just as I've installed this gear.

From some googling, I have not found a lot of helpful comments or thoughts, apart from the fact that the VGA cable may now have damaged/missing/bent pins (though surely this wouldn't produce a spotty image, just a mis-coloured one?

I'm going to try and pop out tomorrow night to take a look for myself, but would appreciate any suggestions... if the projector needs replacement then so be it, but I'm hoping not, if that is the case then it's an unfortunate coincidence...

I'd appreciate comments or suggestions <_<

David

Dirt.

Run the focus from end stop to end stop, and the colours and positions will change. You will also see the spots coming into and out of focus. This will show that the dirt is on the three LCD's - hence the changes in colour, depending on which LCD the dirt is on.

If it's not dirt I'll eat the dust in my keyboard.....

I agree with the last poster. If you focus the projector so the individual pixels are distinct on the screen, and the pink splodges remain out of focus, then the likelihood is that the dirt is on the surface of the colour splitter prism block. If you are lucky you should be able clean this out with compressed air or a dust-off aerosol without having to dismantle the whole projector.

Hi all

I'm doing a sound upgrade/install at a church and as part of the install have installed two new TFT "confidence monitors" and a 4 way VGA splitter into the system, to augment the existing projector and long VGA cable.

I had a call this morning to say that yesterday they powered up as ususal and found pink spots on the image of the projector, but not on the TFT screens.

http://i31.tinypic.com/xopkkx.jpg

They tried removing the VGA cable to the projector from the splitter and plugging it in straight to the laptop but apparantly the spots remained.

My understanding is that this is possibly caused by dust, but it's awfully coincidental for it to have happened just as I've installed this gear.

From some googling, I have not found a lot of helpful comments or thoughts, apart from the fact that the VGA cable may now have damaged/missing/bent pins (though surely this wouldn't produce a spotty image, just a mis-coloured one?

I'm going to try and pop out tomorrow night to take a look for myself, but would appreciate any suggestions... if the projector needs replacement then so be it, but I'm hoping not, if that is the case then it's an unfortunate coincidence...

I'd appreciate comments or suggestions :)

David

whilst this could be dirty lenses or optical block, it could also be that some of the dichoric filters in the optical block have burn marks on the filters, this is quite common with projectors that have reached the end of there useful lifespan, ( usaully about 4000hrs ).

if it does not respond to a clean of the optical block ( recommend qualified service personel ), then it is time to replace the projector.

Archived