PAt training & Working at height training

lukepeck

Hi all,

Have had a look around B.R and Google but can't seem to find anything constuctive.

I'm looking to do PAT training and working at height training. I have seen courses around such as the Stage Electrics one http://www.stage-electrics.co.uk/training-...-at-height.aspx but am unsure as to whether being on this course qualifies you to be a PAT tester. If not then does anyone know of any courses in the Bristol/Avon area that would qualify me?

Thanks in advance.

Luke

A sad fact of life is that going on a course, and picking up a piece of paper does work, trouble is, plenty of people go on courses, and learn how to test computers, office shredders and printers, and don't have a clue about anything else. If you do a course that uses our type of equipment, you'll be better placed to spot problems before you even plug in the tester - and will have the knowledge to select appropriate tests.

Like so many things nowadays, you just need to be competent to do the job. How you evidence the competence is one thing, being able to produce meaningful results on the tester is another.

Your other query - does going on a working at height course qualify you to be a PAT tester? I don't think I'll lower myself to answer that one..........

A sad fact of life is that going on a course, and picking up a piece of paper does work, trouble is, plenty of people go on courses, and learn how to test computers, office shredders and printers, and don't have a clue about anything else. If you do a course that uses our type of equipment, you'll be better placed to spot problems before you even plug in the tester - and will have the knowledge to select appropriate tests.

Like so many things nowadays, you just need to be competent to do the job. How you evidence the competence is one thing, being able to produce meaningful results on the tester is another.

Your other query - does going on a working at height course qualify you to be a PAT tester? I don't think I'll lower myself to answer that one..........

Still quite early in the morning. The Question is evident from the topic title.

The reason I'm interested in PAT training is to have to posibilty of filling in quiet months as a PAT tester. I agree with you that having relevant knowledge and understanding stands you in better stead!

Be warned! some courses run by colleges will not be sufficient. Some are no more than highlighting the IEE Guidance booklet with a pen, and then being told these highlighted areas form the basis of examination questions <_< .........

The classic being taught to 'pass the test' not the passing on of skills and knowledge........

The course I went on, the organiser didn't even have a tester for the course. It was only that a delegate brought one in from his works that we actually saw a 'tester' in use. :huh:

No explanation as to who, what, where, and where of testing was given.

(e.g. importance of earth bond, Insulation resistance, safe means / order of testing).

What was particularly frightening was that a certificate of attendance, or sitting the examination was given as being equal in demonstrating competence.

Before rushing on to a PAT testing course, do some research / homework on the subject as ask what exactly is covered on the course that your paying for.....

Regards

John Mac.

Archived