Pearl 2008

pd2009

Hi all,

Just a quick one to clarify something for me.

What is the best method of parking non-dims so that they are not affected by the master? I use patch dimmer @ 100%, but is this the correct method? Is there any other methods that I should be using? I've had a few problems over the past few days with losing power to my movers, but the generics stay the same, so I'm wondering what may be the cause?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks, Paul.

I think your wording is slightly misleading. 'Parking' means something else and I don't understand 'patch dimmer @ 100%'.

To have something unaffected by faders it simply needs to be LTP. Unfortunately this can only be defined in the personality file, but there are some generic 1 & 2 channel fixtures available IIRC.

You could set these values either by palette, playback or manually. You could also define a default 'locate' value in the personality file to get there quickly.

To have a fixture be fixed at a particular value (ie. always on) is not so easy, although can be done by defining as custom curve in personality file and then creating a custom curve where all values are 100%, or whatever is required.

As for movers losing power.... Overloading trip? Maybe a different topic with some details would be sensible ;)

Okay,

For example, I can store my movers on independants on our other desks (Congo) for example, but when we come to tour, we don't use the Congo.

I'm sure that there must be a way to control hot power / non dims, that are not affected if the master is knocked or faded down.

Just what I was about to say Mark

Why would you have the power to your movers on the console?

If the OP is in a situation like mine, where the non-dim circuits are all on an LD-90 switch pack in the Dimmer room controlled by DMX.

For a while I was patching my movers with an inverted curve on our Tiger, until I realised that putting the grand master down still turned them off, as it effectively made the channel go up and turn the non dim off.

I tried making a custom curve file with all values at full, but for some reason it didn't work.

When using the non-dims off our 520, we just patch as non-dim circuits and put them on an exclusive sub.

Overall, the best solution we've come to is to in order to work with any console whatsoever, including visiting consoles, is to build a 24-way switch panel, install a new 24-way cable from the control box to the dimmer room, and make use of the analogue inputs on the non-dim pack.

Ian

I can't say I know the LD 90 particularly well, but is there not a way to force specific dim/non dim to a specified level that takes precedent over any incoming DMX?

It would seem sensible to remove the possibility of switching off power to your movers by accident from the console, after all I can't thnk of any case when you would actually want to do that.

Sorry, that was a reply to Leggy

I can't say I know the LD 90 particularly well, but is there not a way to force specific dim/non dim to a specified level that takes precedent over any incoming DMX?

I would hope you know your own dimmers ;)

Im sure there is a way , but its really not a good idea to have your mains power for movers being controlled by the desk you are using..

Could you not run in a seperate DMX line from the switch pack to a simple console which could be locked away or lid-ed up and create a memory or sub to run them that way.

Then you dont run the risk of someone -or you- accidently turning them off on ur main board.

My original suggestion of single channel LTP fixture will work fine for this. Set the value and leave it. It will not change unless it receives another value from a playback/palette or manually, which is of course entirely avoidable. Faders (including grand master) will not affect LTP channels.

I must say I wondered if you meant this but couldn't believe anyone would run hard power like that!

In a local theatre we have LD90s. They are used for both dimmers and independants. You can turn on the independants from the desk if necessary for specials, but all the independants, such as followspots, movers, scrollers, etc, can also be turned on and off from the control room, which is the normal method to do so, as we normally don't use the independant channels on the desk to avoid turning them on and off when we don't want them to. I assume it uses the analouge input, as mentioned above, however, I'm not entirely sure. The control is, I believe, a wing from the old Galaxy that used to be in the theatre. I think I have picture of it somewhere if you'd like me to post it up.

Archived