PA System For Touring

warnock

Hey folks. I am looking for a PA system for gigs in theatres and halls that hold up to 500 capacity.

The following systems I am thinking about going to demo are the following.

Martin Audio Wavefront - x2 W3 and x2 WS2A. Cost without amps and controller is £5034.70.

What amps would you recommend. Would x1 QSC GX3 and x2 GX5 do the job or would I need more pricy amps?

Would this system perform to 500 capacity?

Martin Audio Blackline - x2 F15+ and x2 S18. Cost without amps and controller is £3438.50 or £4370 with the S218 subs.

Logic System XP Active - x2 XP15 and x2 XP180. Cost £4999

HK Audio......ESYS EPX? (2400W) £3999 Perform to 500 capacity?

......PROJECTOR? (£3600) £8995 Perform to 500 capacity?

.....ACTOR DX? (3200W) - £4749 Perform to 500 capacity?

If anyone could help and offer advice on what system would be the best would be much appreciated.

You will need to supply more information with regard to the type of event and or music.

Type Of Event - Concert

Type Of Music - Pop / Acoustic / Traditional / Rock (Need All Round System)

Act - Duos and Also 4 Piece Band

Cheers

Warnock

You're probably not going to like this, but it really is much more complex than that.

If you were asking "are these sound systems nice?" then the answer could be a yes (or no from people who prefer other systems)

But to ask if these would be ok for a 500 cap venue is a bit of a red herring. Personally, I would think that a single box per side wouldn't give you the coverage in most 500 cap venues, so many people would be off axis to the HF drivers and would lose the clarity.

People will only be honest on this forum with their opinions. Mine is "thats a lot of money to spend on a system if you aren't really sure what you need". A lot of the guys on here wont even answer this kind of post because it's been done many many times before.

We could recommend boxes till the cows come home as there are lots out there, but we wouldn't know if any of them would be suitable for the types of venues you will be in.

Why not hire a couple of systems first to see what you like best, and what works well?

Would x1 QSC GX3 and x2 GX5 do the job or would I need more pricy amps?

I wouldn't recommend these for use with any of the above systems. They are QSCs budget-budget range, aimed at pub gigs. They are not going to make your lovely Martin's sound nice at all. I would recommend either the QSC PLXs for this system or maybe some Crown MacroTechs.

I've also found you can get Crown K2s quite cheap on eBay, and they are some of the finest amps I have ever heard.

I wouldn't recommend these for use with any of the above systems. They are QSCs budget-budget range, aimed at pub gigs. They are not going to make your lovely Martin's sound nice at all. I would recommend either the QSC PLXs for this system or maybe some Crown MacroTechs.

I've also found you can get Crown K2s quite cheap on eBay, and they are some of the finest amps I have ever heard.

Thanks for this. I thought they were rather cheap when I was quoted the price. I have used Mc2 amps before. Would they be able to be used with the Martin range?

Cheers

Thanks for this. I thought they were rather cheap when I was quoted the price. I have used Mc2 amps before. Would they be able to be used with the Martin range?

Cheers

Yes they would be ideal, any of the usual suspects touring ranges would be fine, things such as:

Crown iTech/MacroTech

QSC PLX/PL3

MC2 E Series

Lab Gruppen FQ+

• 2 weeks later...

The FOHHN powered system is what I would go for

Its 1000 watts per cab and no amps to worry about

I know of several bands -hire companies etc who are changing over to this rig and I actually got to hear a band through this rig recently and was very impressed.

Expensive as well I think but taking into account what you would spend on amps etc then maybe more cost efficient than you think.

Lots of amps for sale in my part of the planet at the moment due to this latest trend in powered rigs

Just my tuppence worth

Rusty

Hey folks. I am looking for a PA system for gigs in theatres and halls that hold up to 500 capacity.

The following systems I am thinking about going to demo are the following.

Martin Audio Wavefront - x2 W3 and x2 WS2A. Cost without amps and controller is £5034.70.

What amps would you recommend. Would x1 QSC GX3 and x2 GX5 do the job or would I need more pricy amps?

Martin Audio Blackline - x2 F15+ and x2 S18. Cost without amps and controller is £3438.50 or £4370 with the S218 subs.

Logic System XP Active - x2 XP15 and x2 XP180. Cost £4999

HK Audio......ESYS EPX? (2400W) £3999 Perform to 500 capacity?

......PROJECTOR? (£3600) £8995 Perform to 500 capacity?

.....ACTOR DX? (3200W) - £4749 Perform to 500 capacity?

If anyone could help and offer advice on what system would be the best would be much appreciated.

SSE have some Crown MacroTechs in their ex hire stock. Incase you wanted to look at prices or maybe purchase any.

Think a bit about what you're suggesting. The HK projector is a fine system for doing what it says, projecting. It isn't so much the capacity, but the width of the venue. With a projector system, you will need two of them if the room is wide - doubling your price. They sound ok. They are happy doing loud pop, with ev erything through them, at quiet decent volumes, but perhaps not so hot for compressed heavy metal guitars and double kicks. They are easy to truck, have effective, but fiddly covers and good castors. A 6 box (or 12) system is quite expensive when you could get some decent 2nd hand really excellent stuff for similar money.

Archived