KY for movers

Chris Adam

One of my Robe movers is in need of a bit of lube on the pan head, but I'm not sure what to use. It's a bit tricky to get into, so a spray, with tube would be best, but I'm open to suggestions.

I had a wee scan around search function, but didn't come up with a definative answer.

Much appreciated.

I would whatever the manufacturer tells you to. Look to see if they have a registered part for it.

I had need for glue a few weeks ago to glue a piece of glass back into place inside a Mac 600. I could have gone to CPC and got some 200 degree stuff... but Martin say I need atleast 350 degree... so I spent the £65 (almost double the price of stuff I could buy from CPC) to get the Martin silicone that is on the parts list. By doing so I knew it would not only do the job, but it was tried, tested and approved by them.

Go with what Robe say.... it is the best way after all.

Best,

I dislike sprays in sensitive places, the product always goes somewhere it shouldn't! I used to work with a camera repairer and he used syringes with blunt needles to dispense really tiny amounts of oil exactly where needed. This type of blunt can be found in printer refilling kits.

Again the correct lube will be most suited to purpose.

Guest lightnix
Whilst not directly relevant to the lube bit, regarding high temp silicone for fixing dichros, etc high temp silicone gasket sealant from Halfords is far cheaper and does the job admirably!

But why risk the thousands invested in buying kit for the sake of a poxy few quid on maintenance materials? :)

Utter madness IMO ;)

Jivemaster's comment about using blunt needles for lube application is spot on. Spraying anything around inside a mover is not recommended - you just don't have the control over where it goes.

Call Robe. Do what they say. Spend the money. Accept no substitute.

Ah, the blunt needle is an awesome idea. well, it would've been, but I now have the fixture in many many bits as it seems that lube might not be the issue. I did wonder as these units are well serviced, albeit pretty aged. A trick I'll bear in mind though.

I should have been clearer in my origianl post that I already have the proper lubricants for all of my movers, it was more of an access thing and to see if anyone had a miracle fix to get just a quick squirt into a really tough place. The needle will be the way forward in the future though. (why do lubricant tins always have short spouts??)

Cheers for all posts.

But why risk the thousands invested in buying kit for the sake of a poxy few quid on maintenance materials? :)

Utter madness IMO ;)

Jivemaster's comment about using blunt needles for lube application is spot on. Spraying anything around inside a mover is not recommended - you just don't have the control over where it goes.

Call Robe. Do what they say. Spend the money. Accept no substitute.

Spot on!

But why risk the thousands invested in buying kit for the sake of a poxy few quid on maintenance materials?

High temp silicone is high temp silicone, regardless of the packaging.

£65 is not 'a poxy few quid' in my world, and why spend over the top on an overpriced product?

Anyway, do as you please and spend your money where you like...

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=27893

and why spend over the top on an overpriced product?

Anyway, do as you please and spend your money where you like...

Becuase if you buy an approved part from Martin and it causes your fixture to loose its rear end and write it off, you can then turn around and have a dam good go at Martin because the silicone failed. The odds are they will help you out...

However if you had used off the shelf, cheaper stuff, then they are most likely to say... "not our problem" or "we told you so"... or words to that effect.

Thats why. You want to keep your expensive lights working dont you??

Best,

yeah we have been using grease/lube for furnace doors thats affordable from WURTH..

Smokes a little on first strike of the lamp but it kinds "settles in" quickly.

I'll check it out for the exact details tomorrow if I remeber...

What are you trying to lubricate? As far as I know the bearings are on ball races.

Yeah, so it would seem. Basically, these movers are used on average 35 hrs+ per week, with fully saturated haze in the venue for at least half of this time. They also hang on my rear truss that is right next to the air con extracts, which pulls ALL of the haze through the fans etc, so when this wobbley bucket started having a few sticking probs, I guessed it was likely a lube issue and when I couldn't get the spout where I needed it (oo-er) I wanted a few suggestions.

It turns out it's more likely a problem with the PCB parts, but I've yet to get that far. I'm only getting an hour on it each day just now, as I'm still too busy.

Archived