Futurelight MH660

scurridge21

Most likely the motor is seizing up if it is a fairly old unit. Check to see if the movement is smooth, if it is laboured then remove the stepper , either change for a new one, or strip, clean, lubricate the bearings, and replace.

Another suspect area may be the wires to the stepper. check for continuity as this can cause errors. (and is a common fault but normally on tilt not pan)

Before you do anything, check that the optical encoder wheel is clean. I've had a couple of fixtures that would display a pan error and not reset properly, although the fixture would still operate correctly (eventually).

On the LED/Controls side of the base, remove the casing and you will see a notched wheel on the left, it'll probably be covered in dust if it's never been cleaned before. Give it a gentle wipe, checking that the two sensors either side of the wheel are free from debris as well. You may find that this is all you need to do....

HTH

Andy

Thats good thinking there, I had only found the fixture the other week in a flight case that simply said "Pan Error - But Still Works ok" and only took it off the stock as the head was wobbly after testin it does eventually run fine in demo mode, have now stopped the wobbling, I'm planning to try and fix the 'Pan Error' on thursday.

Thanks for all your advice guys

Scurridge21

I also agree, clean the pan encoder. A good blast of air a-la-Martin training video will help, really dirty units will require dismantling and cleaning with brush and alcohol. Also check the drive belt hasn't got missing or worn teeth and that the motor bearings aren't collapsed, this can cause tight spots.

Archived