pangolin problem

lee weathers

If it actually has galvo scanners rather than steppers might be able to break into the input to the scan amps and add an input there , output from Pangolin is ILDA standard oin 25 pin Dsub, but if its only natively DMX scanners are unlikely to be very fast, bit like using a GrandMA to run a couple Soundlab scanners.

See ILDA breakout boards on ebay and pretty cheap lasers with ILDA ports nowadays.

Photonlexicon.com forums might be able to go a bit more indepth.

If the laser only has DMX input and no ILDA (25 pin) connector, then all it can do is project the shapes that have already been programmed into it, although it may have some inbuilt effects (zoom, spin etc - see your laser's manual). Buy yourself a cheap DMX desk such as the Stairville DMX Master and you will be able to select figures, program them into a sequence, and have them change in time with the music beat. However, you can't change the pre-programmed shapes to new ones.

I have a laser with an ILDA standard 25 pin connector. can anyone tell me what software and connection box / cable I need to control this laser. And is the software easy to use.

It does have DMX but obviosly this only allows access to the built in programs. I was hoping to be a bit more creative.

The signal specification for the 25-pin ILDA standard connector is : Here

There are many laser control solutions available from different suppliers, of which Pangolin is one. They offer several options at different prices, although their professional kit is expensive (i.e. thousands of pounds). Most work in a similar way - the hardware component is a DAC (Digital to analogue converter), usually USB-connected, that sits between your computer and the laser projector. The laser control software outputs its signals to the DAC, which translates them into analogue voltages that control X and Y axis mirror galvo position - thus moving the beam, and intensity - usually of red, green and blue channels, to allow a colour signal.

By far the best advice on lasers can be had by joining the Photonlexicon forum (Here. as mentioned earlier.)

Please note that lasers aren't like other lighting effects - even a small laser can cause permanent eye damage if not used correctly, so if you use lasers it's your responsibility to learn to use them safely.

Archived