IT And Live Events

Lambiepie

Hello All,

As I have just joined this Forum, I thought I would Announce to everyone that I am a very rare IT Technician as well as general AV Technician, I have been working mainly in Exhibitions and Conferences and have noticed that surprisingly the amount of Technicians that either shy away or do not know enough about IT in the industry,

As we all know it is such a different Animal from Basement Corporate IT,

I just want to extend a hand out for any IT related questions PC or MAC, and if at all possible help out anyone who cant fathom something out,

I have had so many different scenarios in the Industry to do with IT, so maybe I can be off use to some of you.

feel free to contact me

Lambiepie

I think there's more people around who "get" IT than you might think. (This forum is run by a few of them, for a start!)

That said, I'm constantly amazed by the number of "AV Technicians" who are stumped by the "press function-F5*" to get the external VGA output to work on a laptop...

*=Or whichever button your Pc manufacturer chose. Would it be so hard to standardize these things?

I think there's more people around who "get" IT than you might think. (This forum is run by a few of them, for a start!)

That said, I'm constantly amazed by the number of "AV Technicians" who are stumped by the "press function-F5*" to get the external VGA output to work on a laptop...

*=Or whichever button your Pc manufacturer chose. Would it be so hard to standardize these things?

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Welcome to the forums! Any insight is useful but as Bryson said, I think quite a lot of people in the industry aren't too shabby on their computer knowledge :unsure:

Hey I totally agree with you both, but you would be surprised at how many "Hey how do you do that......." questions I get once people find out I am the onsite IT guy., in my experience, most "Techs" do Know enough when they are working but, I was not limiting it just to the work environment, IT covers a lot these days, always happy to help someone if they ask me a question, after all one of the things I love about this industry is if your not to proud to ask (myself included) you can actually learn something and get correct advice and solutions to various different problems that happen with "Kit" and situations in the industry.. from very knowledgeably People. usually over a coffee in the rare moments we get to chill...

Lambie

Hey I totally agree with you both, but you would be surprised at how many "Hey how do you do that......." questions I get once people find out I am the onsite IT guy., in my experience, most "Techs" do Know enough when they are working but, I was not limiting it just to the work environment, IT covers a lot these days, always happy to help someone if they ask me a question, after all one of the things I love about this industry is if your not to proud to ask (myself included) you can actually learn something and get correct advice and solutions to various different problems that happen with "Kit" and situations in the industry.. from very knowledgeably People. usually over a coffee in the rare moments we get to chill...

Lambie

Hi, and welcome to the BR. As others have hinted at, there is a vast range of knowledge on this forum. We have 'The next Generation', which as it's title hints at, is for the younger members who wish to further their knowledge., but once in the main forum, then anything goes. There are members who are small solo artists, theatre managers, and individuals whose knowledge / qualifications / experience can only be worshipped on a grand scale :unsure:

Until you proove your experience, and knowledge, a lot of the BR community will be wary of you.

I think most people "shy" away from IT questions as they are busy enough in corporate events without having to sort out every laptop issue that the speaker has. It is easier to say "sorry guv, no idea" than get involved in a lengthy and maybe fruitless attempt to fix some issues. And if you get it wrong or can't sort it for the client you will get blamed for not fixing it.

I always try and help people but sometimes the security set up on corporate machines can be a nightmare.

There is also the argument that the client should pay for IT techs rather than relying on the possibility that the tech behind a sound desk/ lighting desk can also sort out all network problems etc.

Saying that, I do think that if you want to be a general AV tech you should have a good working knowledge of such things as Windows, Powerpoint, how to toggle the laptop to output on the VGA port and how to access video settings.

One thing I can say is you are not that rare. I work with many AV techs who are also very IT literate.

This thread appears to be attracting requests for general IT support, unrelated to Backstage issues.

If you've come here for IT advice, you're in the wrong website. There are hundreds of IT websites who can fix your network, this isn't one of them.

Archived