Art-Net to DMX

Joe Bleasdale

Hi all,

I am thinking of investing in four of these abit later in the year.

http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=...how=description

I was thinking about Cat Lynx, Ether Lynx, Data Lynx or Net Lynx from Artistic Licence. However they are just too expensive and don’t quite do what I need. I need to be able to convert 4 universes of Art-Net to DMX. The Art-Net is coming directly from a media server then into a network switch I have, and then out into DMX. The easiest way would have been for me to buy either 2 Net Lynx boxes or a Data Lynx rackmount option. But like I have stated, they are just too much.

Has anybody used these? What are they like in terms of quality and reliability?

If anybody else has any other ideas (around the same price range) to convert Art-Net to DMX... please do let me know.

Thanks for reading,

At 199 euros each, in todays exchange rate that works out about £680. For four universes that's not an extortionate cost, but a cheaper solution would be two of http://www.artisticlicence.com/index.php?m...=&order_id=

The Enttec ODE does seem like a good product. I personally haven't used one although have been toying with the idea of getting one for the DMX to Art-Net conversion side of things. I know back in the early days there were a few firmware bugs but having looked at the firmware updates the ones I know of seem to have been addressed. For small numbers of universes it really is a more cost effective solution than some of the other products out there - Artistic License, Luminex, etc - although I always get the feeling you do get what you pay for, and if the budget was available for a Luminex box, having used it I know which out of the two I would go for!

Alternatively, if you could squeeze it into three universes then we could sort you out with something cheaper than 4 of these! :unsure:

Matt

Care expanding on that a bit?

The price of a luminex product vs 4 of these entec ones is alot!

from what you and Matt have said about

>>"Your certainly right about "you get what you pay for".<<

I do not doubt that for one minute. However I was asking for people who actually have these or have used them in anger. Were they reliable? Were they rubbish? Would you recommend them - things like that.

and mentions of firmware glitches

If you re-read Matts post... you will see the it says...

I know back in the early days there were a few firmware bugs but having looked at the firmware updates the ones I know of seem to have been addressed.

Best Regards,

I have used the Luminex box on various TV Game Shows and have found them to be very reliable, stable well built pieces of kit. I used them to drive video through DMX based LED products and they ran without fault over long periods with constantly changing data of over 50 universes. The software is not too complicated and quite versatile. Yes, they are quite expensive, but for the application I used them for I would not go for anything less.

I have no experience of the Entec product.

Hope this helps

With regard to the difference in basic functionality, ie as an Art-Net to DMX convertor, then there is very little to choose between the Enttec ODE and some of the more expensive models out there.

Working as the support guy for a manufacturer of a desk that spits out Art-Net, you get to talk to people who are using all sorts of devices, specifically about resolving the problems using them. When the ODE was first released, we had several people contacting us because they were unable to get DMX out of it and were wondering if it was our side of the equation. The problem was eventually traced to a bug in the firmware that could cause the stack to corrupt if connections on startup weren't made in a certain order or settings were changed, something which appears to have been addressed in v1.6 of the ODE firmware on the Enttec site.

Although having not used one in anger myself, I have been considering buying one personally, mainly because of the DMX input side of things. It offers a very cost effective way convert Art-Net to DMX and vice versa. I've also got experience with using similar products from Artistic License and Luminex, both of which I find to be incredibly high quality. As I said before, if the budget was available and more than a few universes were needed, then to me a 1u rack mounted box would offer a neater solution. No need to split the Ethernet out to each one, and also easier and potentially less damaging to the products for travel. Also from a hire point of view, if the hire company were to offer you a flightcased all in one unit for 8 universes of DMX, or 8 ODEs each with separate 7vdc power supplies and an Ethernet hub and pile of cables, given a limitless budget which would you go for?

Having heard good things about the ODE, this informed my comment that it appears to be a good product, and is also tempting me into spending some money on one.

On a side note, does anyone know if Enttec have any plans to make the Open DMX -> Ethernet available with a GPL license like the Open USB -> DMX? Would quite like to have a play around with one!

Matt

Very much appreciate the insight, can see the advantages of a multi-universe output against a switch and sphaghetti, own interest is in getting isolated DMX drops out of existing building structured cabling, Enttec ODE looks worth experimenting with.

Thanks

Archived