how much?

GeeGee

I am applying for a job as a technical manager, sound, lx, video, IT and rigging (with no other techs to help but obviously there will be casual crew available to call in when needed) for a venue and was wondering what sort of price I should be putting on my head considering that I am 20 and have only been a casual before.

It's a theatre that has a high conference focus but at the end of the day dose most things... dance, comedy, musicals, bands and so on

Any advice on what I should be aiming for?

42h/w

well I was thinking of 20k as a starter but diddnt know if that is to much or little,

it wont cost me that much to live there as im still with pearents (hopefuly will be able to move out with this job though), then I can find a place to live that works with the cash/beer flow

G

It does rather depend on the job, doesn't it? Technical Manager sounds pretty grand for a first job. I suspect, though what you're applying for is a general technician, but perhaps the only one, so the title indicates you are the boss of .... yourself. Based on the venues I know who have the one-person technical staff, then I'd suggest 20K as a bit over the top. £16-18.5 would be a typical technician salary, but unless you have experience in your pocket, I'd expect to start at the bottom of the salary scale. You may squeeze a little extra, but frankly, I doubt it - and being honest, they could be offering even less than that. A real Technical Manager, who might be in charge of a team is often a more managerial post, rather than getting hands dirty, might have a much nicer salary - BUT, you won't get these jobs at 20. In most venues I know, somebody straight from uni will be the gofer, and have to work hard, do everything, make tea and work on absolutely everything. then once they've done this for a while, they move on to get more money!

well I was thinking of 20k as a starter but diddnt know if that is to much or little,

it wont cost me that much to live there as im still with pearents (hopefuly will be able to move out with this job though), then I can find a place to live that works with the cash/beer flow

G

I don't wish to be rude, but if your spelling and grammer are as bad on your application form as in the post above, you probably won't even get an interview.

I don't wish to be rude, but if your spelling and grammer are as bad on your application form as in the post above, you probably won't even get an interview.

yeah I know im not too hot on that and am getting people to proof read it before submition

I suspect, though what you're applying for is a general technician, but perhaps the only one, so the title indicates

you are the boss of .... yourself.

BUT, you won't get these jobs at 20

thats probely the best way of describing the role

worth a try none the less, the interview will be good experence even if I dont ge the job in the end

Thanks, all is helping and more welcome

G

Unless the venue is a very, very small one with a minimal programme, I very much doubt they'll appoint a technical manager who has no experience other than casual work. But as you say, it's good experience for when you come to apply for other jobs.

I applied for a similar sounding position straight from University, general technician/technical manager in a 500 seater theatre/cinema, working 37.5 hours a week,(+overtime).

I would be working on live events, cinema, conferencing, maintaineance, cleaning and the rest without no casual crew to call on. Fun times :-).

I think that jobs pay was £16'500 p/a not including overtime.

HTH

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I don't wish to be rude either, but I think that before criticising someone's 'spelling and grammer', perhaps you ought to learn how to spell 'grammar'.

The £16k - £19k range is spot on. I am the only technician in my venue with no casual's to call on, and my pay scale sits slap bang in the middle.

Personally I would pitch low and ask for a raise after 12 months, at least you'd have the job then.

And that is exactly what I did. Although the pay rise still hasn't appeared.

My advice would be don't ask for a number - and don't profer one if asked!!

Ask them what they are offering and start from there.

Decide beforehand what the lowest you'd be happy to work for is and NEVER go below it - it is far better to only work 6 days a month as a freelancer for £600, than it is to work 6 days a week as an in-house for the same.

In all pay negotiations it is always best to try and be the one saying yes or no and leave the plucking of numbers from thin air to the person sitting opposite, who is shifting uncomfortably in their seat and perspiring gently!!

Then rob them when they flinch! ;) ;)

• 5 weeks later...

I was faced with a similar situation when I was starting out back in the day.

I was given a £12k salary to start with (this was my first ever full time technician job and I was quite young) after 6 months I worked my way up (after fighting) to £15,500 left at age 20 on £16,600 ish. That was a Technical Manager position - and mainly because I was the only in house technican. It was a lot to handle, lots to do, everyting from aiding in booking shows to operating all sound, lighting, and AV equipment.

Hope that helps.

When I was young I was very money oriented. What other people got was a big issue, and finding you were on even just a few pence less per hour than a colleague really hurt, and a few pence more made me feel smug. Finding out other peoples pay is never good. As I got older and got a bit better off, I came to realise that the only thing that matters is that you get paid equal to or more than you feel you are worth, and other people's pay doesn't matter.

The kind of salaries being talked about here are pretty typical, but the duties are not. Somebody in a small venue who is the only technical person will do a wider range of jobs, have more responsibility and be more 'in-charge' simply because that's what's needed. Equally, a venue technician on the same salary in a big venue may have far less responsibility and skill level, and have a manager or two on more pay, who pick up these responsibilities. If the pay works for you, and you love the responsibility - all is fine. Some people would feel disgruntled, some satisfied.

My own view on the pitch low idea is that it rarely works. Pitch low=get low=struggle to get more because you were willing to work at that rate and they won't see any imbalance.

When talking to other people, don't forget that many will ad a couple of grand to their salary when telling others what they get.

I'm often placed in really weird jobs where I'm in charge of people who get paid more than I do, sometimes substantially more, and others who get quite poor pay. I just take the view we all get offered the job at 'the price' - and rarely does it accurately reflect what they really do. Twenty years ago, discovering people are on far more for doing far less would have really upset me, rip-off and b*stards would have been a couple of words popping into my head. Now I realise it's just how it is. It does impact on how I treat whingers who moan about the pay. When the communist regime was in place and I went to these countries, I could never understand how a hotel chambermaid got the same pay as the doctor - but now I just deal in what people can do. What they earn is simply the least the employer can get away with.

The only real tip I can offer is always ask for more than you expect to get. If you know the job will really pay 16, ask for 18 - there's always a chance they'll say yes. If they want you, they want you.

Archived