Mirror ball history

Roderick

In the local rag this morning:

‘‘In a recent episode of Foyle’s War on ABC-TV, set in World War II, a scene in a hall clearly shows a mirror-ball hanging from the ceiling.

While the mirror-ball is the icon of the disco era, when did they first appear?’’

Does anyone know?

And details?

If one uses the term " mirror ball" everyone knows what is being refered to.

However the term "disco ball" may mean different things to different people, it can mean a mirror ball, or it can mean a sphereical light fitting containing a halogen lamp, and with a number of coloured plastic lenses set in the sphere. The sphere is rotated thus casting moving spots of coloured light.

Popular low end disco effect.

However the term "disco ball" may mean different things to different people, it can mean a mirror ball, or it can mean a sphereical light fitting containing a halogen lamp, and with a number of coloured plastic lenses set in the sphere. The sphere is rotated thus casting moving spots of coloured light.

Popular low end disco effect.

Yeah, if someone said "disco ball" I would immediatley think they were refering to the low end disco effect you describe above. Ok, so maybe its more of an outside of the industry thing then a regional thing.

I actually semi own a rotating mirror effect which pre-dates the mirror ball shape that we all know and love today. It comes from around the 1890's / 1900's and consists of a suspended lamp in the middle with a series of 4 inch square mirrors in a ring at different agles around the outside of it. The mirror ring framework is connected to a motor which revolves around the lamp. Last time I had a look at it I think the size of the framework was about two and a half feet across with the whole structure around 18 inches from top to bottom. If memory serves me right I think the metal was made of brass but I could be wrong.

David.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

I actually semi own a rotating mirror effect which pre-dates the mirror ball shape that we all know and love today. It comes from around the 1890's / 1900's and consists of a suspended lamp in the middle with a series of 4 inch square mirrors in a ring at different agles around the outside of it. The mirror ring framework is connected to a motor which revolves around the lamp. Last time I had a look at it I think the size of the framework was about two and a half feet across with the whole structure around 18 inches from top to bottom. If memory serves me right I think the metal was made of brass but I could be wrong.

David.

I was told, and it has stuck with me, that one of the first clear uses of the defined 'mirror ball' was in the film Casablanca (1942). It was only until a couple of decades later that the mirror ball was adopted as the main lighting effect on dancefloors.

Can't beat the classic mirror ball though - the icon of any dancefloor.

Currently I believe its sitting with Jim Laws and is part of a collection of over 600 lanterns and around 350 boards and dimmers from around 1903 to the mid 1990's. I've not seen it for a while as with all the other kit (very long story) but one day I'll play with it all again. I do have photographs of all the stock as it was all catalogued and put into an inventory which I thnk was about 6 folders thick. All the files are at my parents place so if I remember the next time I'm there I'll try and dig it all out and send a scanned image across.

David.

Archived