Stage Blacks

If you want to go 'ultra expensive' - 5.11 tactical gear. Made for the american law enforcement, they are as rugged as hell. Set you back about £50 a pair for combats, and £30 quid a shirt. Guarantee on them is never to fade. However, although very resilliant to rips, if you get paint on them, then they are still ruined, like everything else.

Stick to Primani. If it gets soiled, bin it.

I find the best places for trousers are those factory discount store places, you can usually find black jeans and combats for under £10.

As for the upper half, depending on the gig, I go with Primarni 3 for £5 black t-shirts, and then a black long sleeved shirt over the top half buttoned up if I need to be able to go completely black for hiding on stage etc.

...and then theres the age old story of a student crew member on my team once who refused to wear black shoes, so I just covered what he was wearing in black gaffa and quietly said if you dont turn up in black shoes tomorrow, I will do the same again and deduct the cost of a roll of gaffa from your wages!

No surprise that the following day he came in wearing black trainers!

Hi There,

Another vote for Snickers Workwear trousers, as stated they are a bit pricey but the quality is outstanding,THESE

are the ones that I wear, they are comfortable and hard wearing.

For the polo shirt M & S ones are good value for money and good quality. They do long sleeve tees as well.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

Dickies combats, can't beat 'em, loads of pockets and room to move,cheap too! They do good shorts & bomber jackets too!

I totally agree, you can get Dickies Redhawk trousers in black - I buy them from Screwfix for £13 a pair. I have about 5 pairs of those, and a few pairs of George black baggy trousers, which are more comfortable in hot weather. I also used to use George black t-shirts (until they seemed to stop stocking them) - Primark T-shirts are a funny shape, and tend to be wider than they are long, so they really don't fit well for me.

Now I generally use Dickie's black tees and polo shirts from Screwfix - again, cheap.

Last year I did a walkup lighjting job for a local orchestral society who have an annual end of year bash in a school theatre, done this on and off for a while now.

These folks are excellent musicians, but the haven't a clue about stagecraft or the art and craft of theatrical presentations, so each year they get to learn a little more.

So, there I was, after the runthrough, explaining that for the performance tonight could all stage folk please wear blacks. And they did. Including the very attractive lady who turned up in the little black dress.....

Archived