show express lighting software (Chauvet)

Richard CSL

Is anyone familiar with this software ?? is it any good, how does it compare with all the others such as freestyler, sunlight. Magic q. lightfactory, daslight etc.

I tried downloading from the Chauvet website , but the software doesnt seem to run. I get the language set up, and the tutorial screens, which freeze incidently, but cannot run the program itself. Would really like to evaluate this software, as I am getting to the end of my tether with Daslight.

So cumbersome for making alterations and master dimming / blackout, position offsets , coloured groups etc. the list goes on, and as others have said no support from Daslight at all.

Hi,

Do yourself a favour, go and buy Enttec's USB Pro, download Magic Q or OpenClear&LSC Clarity and and enjoy doing lights :P

Don't waste your time with the stuff like that.

Pero

This software is also known as Sweetlight Lighting Controller.

I have one of the Dongles and although it is OK for live use it isn't any good for theatre as there isn't any speak of a cue stack in the software.

If those are your list of complaints for Daslight, Sweetlight isn't any better although there is a good support forum on the Sweetlight website.

MagicQ is IMO the best software lighting controller.

Josh

Hi,

Do yourself a favour, go and buy Enttec's USB Pro, download Magic Q or OpenClear&LSC Clarity and and enjoy doing lights

Don't waste your time with the stuff like that.

Pero

Thats actually terrible advice, even though there's nothing wrong with the packages mentioned.

First research and find a piece of software you like, and then get an interface the software supports.

so am I right in saying then the top recommended professional computer based lighting software (for moving heads) is Magic Q.

Judging from all your comments, if this is the case then why? oh why? is there no proper tutorial. and the help files seem to have been written by a Dalek. (not a human).

I have persavered many times with trying to fathom this software, but lose the plot rapidly when using the first time help files. This software seems to be written purely for theatre based lighting ie: dimmers predominantly, and movers as an add on.

The concept of this software has its roots firmly based in the multi channel dimmer / Theatre lighting system background. It is very user unfriendly for someone who does not have the professional training that a theatre lighting technician would have had.

I do not understand (because I have never been taught) what cue stacks, submasters, syntax etc are.

However I do understand. scenes, cues, and static cues, sequences, chases.

I look forward to hearing your responses, as I really would like to use this advanced software.

Regards Richard.

This software seems to be written purely for theatre based lighting ie: dimmers predominantly, and movers as an add on.

If you mean Magicq then you couldn't be any further off the mark,I find movers just as easy to use as generics. As for ease of use,if a sound hound can pick it up with just a few minutes of random button stabbing then theres hope for all of us. What are you struggling with the guys from Chamsys appear around here occasionally so if no one here can help they may pop up and provide the answers.

I guess it is just terminology. I struggle to get my head around Daslight but I find MagicQ easy to use.

I find that the help files for MagicQ are very good as they explain every part of the, extremely powerful and flexible, software.

MagicQ treats a dimmer as a single channel fixture so I don't see the difference between them.

If you have an example of the fixtures you use, I'm sure someone could make a show file that you could look at and reverse engineer to work everything out.

Also, having used this the Software on both Live and Theatre shows (admittedly only a couple of each) I find that it is just as good in Live as Theatre.

I haven't had any professional training but I picked up the desk by reading the manual and trial and error over a couple of days wort of playing before using it on a show.

Josh

I think, and please correct me if I'm wrong this is just my opinion!

The Magic Q software is definitely a professional solution, and I wouldn't say moving light functionality was an after thought. Where the Magic Q works wonders is if you've had experience with other consoles, I think a lot of it is based on the Wholehog methodology. Another reason is that you probably need some real hardware to get to grips with it / understand how it works, I'm not saying you're incompetent but the first time I saw the screen I was very confused!

In essence it's the software that the desks run, and isn't going to be as quick and easy to use as for example Light Factory which is specifically developed for users looking for the complete software based system. Where Magic Q succeeds is if you've got time to learn the software inside and out and understand how it works, rather than having a quick play and giving up (much like I).

Another reason to go for Magic Q is that it's actually used in industry, their desks can be seen on real shows, can the same be said for Daslight? So it's a skill that will no doubt be useful for future jobs/employment. And let's not forget it's FREE! They're giving you their stable, versatile software away for nothing. Hook up a few of their programming/playback tiles and you've got an industry level control system for not a lot of money.

Chris

When you look at the price of hardware lighting controls that are built with movers and generics in mind, they cost what? £6000 upwards for most? Here we have people moaning because free software is difficult to use? MagicQ should be thanked not berated for even making the thing available. Most of the things that cause problems are because you are using a computer interface which does make some things tricky - but that isn't the fault of the manufacturers. Also - support? Support costs, so if you want support, give them some of your money. I really like MagicQ hardware desks, they seem to have got it just right - but I struggle with the thing running on my laptop simply because the buttons less easy to control with mouse/shortcuts.

If you want support and ease of operation (and perhaps reliablity, too) then dig deep and buy a real control.

Hi Richard,

What problems have you been having with the MagicQ software? The software was designed from the ground up to smoothly integrate generic, intelligent, LED and media fixtures all into one package without bias towards one end of the spectrum over the others. As with any piece of software, there is always an initial learning curve with things like the terminology, but the manual features a glossary at the end to help out on this.

If you drop me an email - matt@chamsys.co.uk - then I'll happily send you over a copy of our quick start guide and shortcuts list, and the full in-depth manual is included as a PDF in the MagicQ folder on the start menu. It's decidedly easier to use and search in Acrobat than in the software!

The MagicQ software that runs on your PC is compiled from exactly the same source code as the software that runs on our desks. This allows you to use it as an offline editor, a backup system for a full desk, a PC lighting desk with one of our wings attached, or standalone on the PC with one of our or a number of third party DMX interfaces attached. The software that you run on the PC is free and has all 18 outputs enabled for use without having to pay us a penny - not many places where you can get something for nothing like that! The only thing that's restricted until you connect a piece of our hardware is the functions that would allow you to externally control the software using third-party hardware/software. Where we give it away free we do need to make our money somewhere!

The advantage is that you can program a show on your computer and then transfer it to a full sized desk and vice versa. All our products run the same software and accept the same show files so it's incredibly easy to upsize and downsize a MagicQ system as and when required.

I look forward to being able to help you out with any initial problems you've found.

Regards,

Matt Lemon

ChamSys Ltd

Archived