sgm gallilieo fault

lee weathers

When you say "won't stop going round to home position" I assume you mean it keeps returning to home position rather than doing whatever it's supposed to be doing? If it's finding the home position then I'd say the sensors are ok. I've got a galileo 4 in bits on the bench at the moment and it's got LEDs next to each stepper motor which light when it's in the home position making it easy to confirm the operation of the sensors and the correct location of the wheels on the shafts.

When you say "won't stop going round to home position" I assume you mean it keeps returning to home position rather than doing whatever it's supposed to be doing? If it's finding the home position then I'd say the sensors are ok. I've got a galileo 4 in bits on the bench at the moment and it's got LEDs next to each stepper motor which light when it's in the home position making it easy to confirm the operation of the sensors and the correct location of the wheels on the shafts.

sorry to confuse the issue - all wheels find home position on reset, however say I try to select a certain colour or gobo, then on certain wheels they just continue to rotate and cannot find the correct gobo or colour

hope this is more clear

cheers

Sounds like an electronic fault then if it's finding home position on reset. I'm out of my depth now.

I'm quite happy cleaning things out, changing belts and motors and bits, but the electronics is beyond me.

All I can suggest is that the control boards are modular so you could give them a wiggle and make sure they're properly seated. Other than that I assume SGM or their UK distributor have a service department who will be able to advise you.

IIRC, and it's a few years since I last took a screwdriver to one of these, the home position is detected by a small magnet (the size of a grain of rice) on the outer edge of the effects wheel, and the rotation is detected and measured by optical sensors. Make sure there are no loose bits inside that should be stuck somewhere else or not inside at all, give it a blast out with the compressor making sure the opto-slots are clear, and if the optical detection uses separate LED and sensor (rather than a single black 'slot sensor'), use a digital camera (eg; your phone) to see if the IR LED is lit (remove the lamp first, safety precautions, blah, blah... B-) ) You might need to take the sensor PCB off the chassis before you power up, if access is restricted.

Digital cameras show IR as a white light. To see what I mean, point your nearest remote control at the lens of your camera and press any button.

Like I said, it's a good few years since I poked about with one (and it is possible I've got mixed up with something else) :)

My Galileo IV "live"s only appear to detect home position, using a sensor under the hub in the centre of the wheel. The wheel itself can be adjusted on the hub to the exact alignment. Everything else seems to work by number of steps from home position. I haven't seen earlier models so have no idea if they work the same way....

Archived