Insurance for dance evenings

tvi675

Hi Everyone,

I've been approached for advice about the technicalities of putting on a freestyle dance evening, possibly on a regular (weekly) basis. Being a lampy I can deal with the lights, and shall shortly be turning to the sound forum for some PA advice, have contacted PRS about the music licensing issues, but the one thing I'm struggling with is insurance.

To explain the situation - hall is hired, people pay their ticket money to come in and freestyle mo'jive (all the rage, I'm lead to believe!) for three hours. Venue is happy as they get paid and the bar is propped up all evening, but what kind of insurance would be needed for this. It's highly likely that I would be involved for the tech side, and I currently hold £2m PLI, but I've got this feeling in the back of my mind that it's probably not the right kind of insurance for this. Would the organisers need to take out extra insurance, or does the venues insurance cover it?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Matt

Official line from our Local Authority - even though the venue is PLI'd up to is eyeballs, private hirers are expected (although not all do) to have taken out event PLI.

Reason? So that if someone falls over, breaks an arm and sues, then hopefully the event PLI coughs up, not the venue PLI, thus saving the Local Authority the cost of increased premiums.

You need to ask the venue what their policy is.

It would be prudent for you to have event PLI even if the venue doesn't require it just in case an injury occurs because of something you (as opposed to the venue) have done. Risk mitigation and all that jazz...

Some of the amateur groups that hire us find that Eclesiastical Insurance do good deals on insurance for events.

If the promoter is a teacher from one of the Modern Jive groupings, associations or franchises then that group should have info for the promoter on PLI for teachers and promoters of MJ. If you are the promoter and you don't have dance teacher insurance, you are in a bad position - it's the good teachers that get the big crowds paying good money.

PS MJers simply don't drink. They arrive by car have a water or juice then go by car. If the bar demand turnover you will get slung out after 2 or 3 events.

I used to work at a jive night in Leicester Square and for 300 people inside the bar usually took £1200 ish for a four hour session. That's £4 per head, at the same time clubbers in nightclubs were paying about £20 per person over the bar per evening!

Hirers will find odd terms in hire contracts where they have to indemnify the venue against claims arising, so good insurance is essential, but it is the promoter who needs it.

Ceroc franchises get insurance through borg control, LeRoc teachers can get it through the teacher's professional body. Where the independents source PLI I don't know -find a few and ask them!

Reason? So that if someone falls over, breaks an arm and sues, then hopefully the event PLI coughs up, not the venue PLI, thus saving the Local Authority the cost of increased premiums.
Just a though, and it might be a complete red herring, but last time I claimed on the car insurance because some idiot couldn't see it, the form had a "Is there any other insurance covering this claim" or similar. I suspect that they are looking for someone else to pay out.

Remember, they are there to make a profit for the shareholders; not to protect you!

On the severalth page of small print in the terms and conditions, most venues expect the hirer to indemnify the venue against all claims against them. This can mean thet the venue will charge on the cost of claims or court costs incurred -If there is an H&S breach resulting in fines and costs HSE will prosecute the venue as the top body even though a sub company may be responsible for commiting the incident. The T&Cs will allow the venue to fully charge the hirer for the total costs.

Get good insurance. Insurance through a like trade grouping is cheaper than a generic policy as the proprietors brokers and insurers understand the risks better.

I fully agree with Jivemaster . Dancers don't drink . I promote on average 16 dance events per year . My last event was last Saturday and there was 200+ dancers and only 1 person runnig the bar and they weren't worked hard . If the venue are expecting to make money on the bar they may be disappointed and you may have to find a new venue .

I have PLI as a promoter as well as PLI as a dance teacher .

Thanks for the advice everyone - the venue is used for classes but not for the freestyle evenings at present so I think they are aware of how much they can expect to turn over at the bar.

Where would people recommend for PLI as a promoter?

Thanks,

Matt

"Dance Night" means different things to diferent insurers! You really must check with the insurers that they understand your needs - I guess that 200 people doing MJ is a different risk and insurer from 2000 people doing Bashment!

Really the promoter needs insurance! They should start with the insurers that cover their classes. Guess why people start the freestyle with a class!?!

I expect Roy Musk would insure you -you certainly have the chance to talk with the actual insurer with him.

Linda (Brighton) or Franco (Bucks) or any of the LeRoc people in the Bristol area may assist you with contacts.*

Go read Howtojive.com in detail before you commit yourself -She was good, very good. now lives abroad.

Added

* If you don't know these names then you should! I'm not giving clues in public forum.

Archived