Economy Speaker Recommendations

johndenim

Without wanting to continue off-topic conversation, but doing so nonetheless, the F1220 weighs in at 37 kg for a 12" box. I'm lucky enough to have heard them very recently, but not lifted them!

Well a strong man contest for all on the Blue Room might not go a miss at PLASA. :stagecrew:

110&52kg! Blimey, you could lift me at those weights.

Josh

Yes Josh, I have seen Robs HUGE van, and believe me, it's loaded!

Poor merc suspension..........

I've only seen up to a LWB High Top VW although that was loaded to the roof. (I had the joy of unloading that on Sat).

To keep this on topic though, we were going to use SX200s as delays but we didn't need them. I heard them last year though and I liked them.

Josh

Generally most good sounding speakers are very heavy due to all the internal bracing etc. When buying pro audio I always find if I struggle to lift it, chances are it will be good! Apart from cheapo amps of course.

That said, there aren't many cheap amps that are truly horrific that weigh LOTS, even the cheap 3u 40kg offerings from people like DAP are not BAD amps. They're not a 5000VZ or a CA18, but then they're not that price. It's the ones with no useable transformer that are about 15kg that are the nasty ones.

And, the van was not overweight.

Good boxes are heavy. They have heavy components, even good neo drivers are heavier than cheap normal ones. The TQ445 is so heavy due to its massive magnets on drivers. The Magnet on the 6.5 mid is bigger than the actual cone, add lots of bracing, a big 12 and a 1 inch and 30kg is a relief to hear. Then there's the flying yoke.....

To keep this on topic though, we were going to use SX200s as delays but we didn't need them. I heard them last year though and I liked them.

We have a few SX100s as wedge monitors and for occasional FOH box use outside of our primary venue - I was going to suggest them, however it depends on your application for the box. For foldback I think they are great, but they are capabe of producing a fairly piercing / harsh sound, so I would worry about them being used for music for 12" FOH boxes. We use them for speeches / DJs etc but I think they would be a little lacking in the bass compared to others mentioned, however we did pick them up for £180/box.

And, the van was not overweight.

Sorry Rob, I didn't mean to imply that, I just meant that there was quite a bit of kit in there.

And noticed that you could lift most of it by yourself!

So any comparisons between the F12 and the txd 121?

Archived