Economy Speaker Recommendations

johndenim

Thanks Josh.

I had hoped that someone would say, " bang per buck they are great" or similar.

Looking at the range of Tapco cabs from thomann You've got to admit they look pretty good for a budget brand.

Also as they are engineered by the people at Mackie, I thought hey, these should be some where close to the Mackie sound, just not with the badge.

I dropped a proverbial clanger earlier on in the year by rush buying some class d cabs, luckily I have installed them at a local club for what I paid for them, so at least I didn't lose any money.

So the powered/active range aside, any comments on the passive stuff?

As I say I use peavey and although not the best I seem to get a half decent sound from them.

Basically I need another pair of 12" full range cabs, I missed out on the F12's from Rob Beech, I am still kicking myself!

I have drawn up a list of possible maybes, these are the tapco, (as above) maybe the passives, (in link) thomanns own T12, thomanns own pa302, studiospares fortisimmo. (I know Bruce had some of these and was pretty satisfied)

Any advice or comments?

To add-

Thanks Alex, I know what you mean, I would love to actually hear them.

With the greatest of respect - I can't see how Mackie inventory could be helpful in any way other than the SRM450 which for some odd reason seems popular as a DJ monitor. All the Mackie speakers I've used have sounded really quite poor, although I will admit they've been incredibly loud in general.

I do feel with Mackie, and many of these 'prosumer' brands, you pay 60% for the brand name. The fact of the matter is, with a good amplifier and a pair of unbadged speakers built by a bloke in a warehouse with designs off the 'net and a good set of drivers, you can often get some of the best sounding speakers you'll ever use for next to nothing-at-all.

I can think of one such manufacturer in my local area which is held in high-regard by some members on this forum, and I consider them some of the best speakers I've ever used, yet they're incomparably cheaper than their sonically closest brand-name competitor.

I'll throw in a little-known brand name - Hz. I've used the HE200s quite extensively and find them great sounding speakers considering they're plastic boxes.

I've heard their (again, plastic) subwoofers too, and was very impressed!

Would a HK Premium Pro come under economy? They are fairly cheap.

In my opinion, they sound very good for the money and throw quite well too. I went to a party in the park kind of event and they had two HK PP 12" tops and a Fohhn sub and I was amazed how loud they were!

Here here.

I have heard the HK's and I too like the sound, maybe I should save the pennies and plum for higher quality.

Looking at the T12 again, is it just me or are there similarities with the F12?

Just in the look mind, I'm not saying they would perform as well!

I don't really see many similarities to write home about in the look. I mean they both have a 12 in them, and are black, and have a HF driver on a horn, a grille, and they're 300watts....... and that's about it, but most boxes like that do.

The F12 are multifunction so can be a wedge, the T12 can't, so the box shape is different, they have side handles, the F12 has a single one at the back.....

The F12 are multifunction so can be a wedge, the T12 can't, so the box shape is different, they have side handles, the F12 has a single one at the back.....

Must be just me then Rob. :stagecrew:

And the single handle is one thing I did not like, 25 (?) kgs in in hand is not light to mere mortals, and getting them off the stick is trickier.

The F12's are only 21kg, I see what you're saying though.

However, do you lift boxes off stands with the handles? What type of handles. Bar handles you can spin your hand around when you drop the cab down. Pocket handles you can't. Lifting the F12 is simple, get a bottom right and a top left corner and lift. Unless you buy the stands I have which are too wide and all boxes stick to them......

haha, I know what you mean Rob!

Where the whole tripod comes up as you lift, especially if you have light ally stands....

For me I like to lift small cabs from stands with left hand on the bottom, and right hand on handle.

Don't forget, I have seen your van, loaded with W8's, and have seen you lift them on your own!

Not counting a huge trunk full of cables... :stagecrew:

Archived